Anyone rearing Dynastes tityus?

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
Who is rearing Eastern Hercules beetles? I have two groups of larvae, from wild adults last year and from this year. Last year's are pupating now(two females have just hatched)and this year's are just hatching from eggs. Photos are of my two largest pupae so far and those next to a 55mm. wild collected male from this July.

Attachments

Last edited:

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
I will have two larvae arrive next week from bugsincyberspace.com. I'm super excited about it! I've been wanting them for a while, but they either weren't available, or money was tight. I wish I lived in an area where I could catch and breed some wild specimens. If they're in Michigan, I've never seen one. Here's hoping it's a male and female pair that I can breed.

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
I will have two larvae arrive next week from bugsincyberspace.com. I'm super excited about it! I've been wanting them for a while, but they either weren't available, or money was tight. I wish I lived in an area where I could catch and breed some wild specimens. If they're in Michigan, I've never seen one. Here's hoping it's a male and female pair that I can breed.

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
They probably don't occur in Michigan. We don't have them here in Pennsylvania either. I collected some adults in southern Maryland. They are fairly easy to breed.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I'm breeding them! I currently have 21 larvae and 1 hibernating adult female. Pupated and eclosed months before her siblings for some reason. I also have some D. grantii.

Last edited:

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Here is my D. tityus grub shelf :rofl: males on top females underneath
IMG_9412.JPG
Here is where I keep most of my D. grantii
IMG_9414.JPG
My most impressive male D. grantii
IMG_9210.JPG IMG_9207.JPG

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
Here is my D. tityus grub shelf :rofl: males on top females underneath
View attachment 220785
Here is where I keep most of my D. grantii
View attachment 220786
My most impressive male D. grantii
View attachment 220788 View attachment 220789
I have a similar setup. I had 30 tityus larvae in the oldest group, most have pupated now. The first two females have enclosed and are in a cool basement. Are the sex ratios always skewed towards females? Most have been females.

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
I'm breeding them! I currently have 21 larvae and 1 hibernating adult female. Pupate and eclosed mother maths before her siblings for some reason. I also have some D. grantii.
Are your tityus close to pupating? Do you weigh the pupae?

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Are your tityus close to pupating? Do you weigh the pupae?
This is my second generation of captive bred. I didn't weigh any of my pupae last brood because I was under the impression they needed their pupal chambers to eclose correctly. If this is wrong I would be thrilled because I have wanted to check up on them while they are pupae. I think that none of them are pupae at the moment but I need to check on them all again because I haven't for awhile. They are all late L3 at least though.

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
This is my second generation of captive bred. I didn't weigh any of my pupae last brood because I was under the impression they needed their pupal chambers to eclose correctly. If this is wrong I would be thrilled because I have wanted to check up on them while they are pupae. I think that none of them are pupae at the moment but I need to check on them all again because I haven't for awhile. They are all late L3 at least though.
do you intend to sell some of them in the future

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
I was very careful in excavating mine. I pretty much knew when each larvae had started building their cells and I waited about three weeks before digging them up. I disturbed some of them too soon and they exited them and built a far inferior one. I made them new ones after they settled down. I only chipped the top off and they have pupated and eclosed perfectly.

Attachments

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
ether and if you do intend to sell I would be interested :)
I might have some extra adults for sale after they eclose. If I end up with a bunch of eggs the next time I go through the breeding tank I might part with some L1 larvae as well.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I was very careful in excavating mine. I pretty much knew when each larvae had started building their cells and I waited about three weeks before digging them up. I disturbed some of them too soon and they exited them and built a far inferior one. I made them new ones after they settled down. I only chipped the top off and they have pupated and eclosed perfectly.
How do you get the tops off so perfectly? When I open the cells to get the adults out dirt usually falls in.

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
How do you get the tops off so perfectly? When I open the cells to get the adults out dirt usually falls in.
I occasionally have small clumps fall into the cells too. I just carefully remove them with a pair of forceps. I keep the substrate pretty damp when I think they are close to building their cells and that seems to help hold everything together. I scrape most of the top half of the pupal cell very thin and then at the top most area start chipping back pieces until I have it opened up.