anyone raise Blaberus discoidalis?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I am heavily considering starting a colony of Blaberus discoidalis, but there are a few things I am worried about. For instance, how often do I have to clean up their waste, how big of a container should I have, does anyone normally provide substrate, etc. I HATE these pet store crickets and it's a crapshoot how long they actually live. Since I live in Florida, Blaberus discoidalis are the only ones I could get shipped and start a colony of. Would 200 mixed sizes be a good start?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I am heavily considering starting a colony of Blaberus discoidalis, but there are a few things I am worried about. For instance, how often do I have to clean up their waste, how big of a container should I have, does anyone normally provide substrate, etc. I HATE these pet store crickets and it's a crapshoot how long they actually live. Since I live in Florida, Blaberus discoidalis are the only ones I could get shipped and start a colony of. Would 200 mixed sizes be a good start?
I started with 100,and by the time I had fed half off,I had at LEAST 80 nymphs running around. I use a ten gallon,some eggcrate,a dish for watergel,and some dry roach chow.Not even a heatpad.Ours bred like crazy.I would imagine that depending on the size of your collection,200 would be a good start. But you cannot go wrong with more.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I started with 100,and by the time I had fed half off,I had at LEAST 80 nymphs running around. I use a ten gallon,some eggcrate,a dish for watergel,and some dry roach chow.Not even a heatpad.Ours bred like crazy.I would imagine that depending on the size of your collection,200 would be a good start. But you cannot go wrong with more.
How often do you have to clean out the poop? Could you share a picture or two Please? I kind of thought I would need a one of those huge rubbermaid totes to keep them all in if I got 200. That's really enough space for them all? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to get into something that's harder to take care of than my T's.

Oh yeah, I only have 9 tarantulas right now, most are pretty small...

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just used what I had lying around.The lid is foam sheeting,with 2 small holes in it.I would get a pic,but our camera sucks,and I am currently out of adult roaches.I cleaned the frass and whatnot out every month,and sifted it out to remove nymphs.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep mine in a 20 gallon tank with four other non-climbing species. I have about 250-300 roaches, including nymphs in the tank. It's plenty of room, I had over 1,000 Blaberus hybrids in this same tank a few years back and they still had lots of room. I don't clean out the frass, I let the nymphs eat it and let it degrade into the coco fiber substrate. When I do clean a tank it's far and few between, once a year or so. I just make sure there is no mold or rotting food, frass (poop) is never an issue. As for only 9 tarantulas...I'd start with 50-100 and let them breed up, once they start having babies you will literally never run out. Good luck with them!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks! The one guy I found that has them for a good price (aaronpauling.com) said he won't ship them to Florida because they are recommending a permit for them. I don't want to spend $ 16 for 10 roaches like on some sites. Even the feeder store is out! Is there anyone in Florida with a good colony of them that is willing to sell some?