Anyone know , of anyone reputable dealer selling a true web weaving spider

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Uh a slow one that wont kill me would be a nice little addition to my collection.

(I live in the city in Pa not lots of spiders here just tons of harvest men :p )

Dr_Strange

Arachnopeon
Do you mean orb-weavers :? ? Because I've never heard of a true web weaving spider.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yea orb weavers...

i think that millipede acid has a bigger effect on me than normal :rolleyes:

Dr_Strange

Arachnopeon
Originaly posted by Bob the thief
i think that millipede acid has a bigger effect on me than normal
Yeah I've heard that it can cause quite an irritation. So how has it affected you more than usual?

About orb weavers, I don't know of any merchants that sell perticular sp. of araneidae but you might be able to capture some from around your area fairly easy. Just gotta know where to look.

Sorry if I haven't been much help. Good luck though :D

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Dr_Strange
Yeah I've heard that it can cause quite an irritation. So how has it affected you more than usual?

About orb weavers, I don't know of any merchants that sell perticular sp. of araneidae but you might be able to capture some from around your area fairly easy. Just gotta know where to look.

Sorry if I haven't been much help. Good luck though :D
The porblem is i live in a city lol

the best thing ive found was a green striped jumping spider

rest are harvestmen

:rolleyes:

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bob,

I live in Oregon and can collect at least three color variants of the "Golden Orb Weaver" also called the St Andrews Cross spider (Araneus andrewsi ?). If you live in the US I can send you one. I have three in my collection now. There are also several species of "Garden Spider" which are the Argiopes...

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes I do live in the US philadelphia actually , but right now the temps are jumping from 30-40 F

T. blondi

Arachnopeon
(off subject) all this talking of orb-weavers, reminds me of the orb weaver we had near the house this summer. He made his web right outside the door; and every night I'd try and capture the moths flying near the pourch light. Unfortunate for the moths, because I had their powdered scales all over my hand by the time I caught one :( . but it at least insured he had a meal

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cold doesn't really hurt em... There is an orb weaver in my garage right now (it lives above the florescent light on my work bench) and it takes temps down to 30F no problem.... Bet a dollar they will survive.... especially with a heat pack... ;)

Want a Hobo with 3 egg sacs? :) If your into true spiders the Tegenaria sp. are way cool.... and easy! No temperature or humidity limits really. They like it dry and room temp... and defensless crickets... lol

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by T. blondi
(off subject) all this talking of orb-weavers, reminds me of the orb weaver we had near the house this summer. He made his web right outside the door; and every night I'd try and capture the moths flying near the pourch light. Unfortunate for the moths, because I had their powdered scales all over my hand by the time I caught one :( . but it at least insured he had a meal
It's thought that the scales may be an evolved defense against spiders...they prevent the moths' wings from sticking to the web!

Wade

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Arachniphile

Want a Hobo with 3 egg sacs? :) If your into true spiders the Tegenaria sp. are way cool.... and easy! No temperature or humidity limits really. They like it dry and room temp... and defensless crickets... lol
Arachnophile,

Doesn't this species sport a strong venom? Or is that a "rumor"?

Thanks,

Paul

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tegenaria sp???

eh?

kinda bitey bitey no?

Well... yes and no.

The Hobo Spider (Tegenaria agrestis) is said to be the "Agressive House Spider". I have been keeping several of these for a few years now. They *can* administer a nasty little bite similar to that of the Brown Recluse (Loxoceles reclusa) but is quite unlikely to do so. You really have to molest one of them to get it to do more than just run and hide. I have taunted mine a few times to see what reaction I would get and never once has any of them shown anything other than full flight. I don't handle them because they are small and quite fast. I have read several documents that seem to indicate when one does bite in defense of itself it is usually a dry bite, meaning no venom is injected.

As I said before, they are really easy to keep and are quite facinating to watch. Matings between them are quite interesting actually. Apperently the male has a potent set of pherimones because as soon as he approaches the female she is rendered "unconcious" so to speak. The best description I can give you is a limp noodle... lol He carries her around for a while (I thought he was just gonna eat her) at some point he mates with her (I didn't see anything) and then makes his retreat. The female "awoke" about 10 minutes later and seemed no worse for the wear.

Anyways... as soon as I get my DigiCam fixed I'll post up some pics of some of these critters.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oooo thats cool.

Might get them then.

Considering the fact that even though docile , are still hot.

Last edited:

T. blondi

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Wade
It's thought that the scales may be an evolved defense against spiders...they prevent the moths' wings from sticking to the web!

Wade
i didn't know that ; it does make since.

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would like to try keeping several of these myself! They sound pretty awesome!

Are they only found on the west coast?

Paul

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes.. Thier range is currently limited to the Pacific NW. Since winter is in full swing there are not too many to be found right now. I will keep my eyes open though and will post when I have collected a few of the miscreants...

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if u ever go down to the southeren states look fo golden orb weavers they grow to 4 to 5 inches and build webs the size of volleyball nets there silk is stronger than ur hair wow i just causght one and im bringing it back to new york

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a specimen that's living outside of my apartment on the lower level beneath the deck.

I'm not sure what species it is, I haven't researched it yet, but it's eating a june bug!

Last edited: