anyone keep pet mice?

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just woundering if anyone here keeps pet mice, I had 2 a few years back and they were great pets, did well being handled and fun to watch play. They were pretty active. Anyone else currently keeping or have kept pet mice? Pics anyone?
Everyone knows these are reptile and spider food, nothing more. It's probably wise to stray away from using me as a mouse-sitter.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I breed mice for my snakes. I have 4 girls, 1 boy and a bunch of babies. All my breeders are pets too, they are tame and don't mind me messing with them or the babies.

I'll take some pictures.

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Everyone knows these are reptile and spider food, nothing more. It's probably wise to stray away from using me as a mouse-sitter.
Actually they can be awesome pets.Rats are very similar to dogs.I am not going to debate as everyone has their own opinion.

I have no problems with feeding rats and mice as food either,because I love snakes,geckos and other animals that eat rats and mice,pinkies...etc.I have to feed my female gecko a live pinky every now and again.

But still rats make awesome pets.Mice are nice too. :)

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually they can be awesome pets.Rats are very similar to dogs.I am not going to debate as everyone has their own opinion.

I have no problems with feeding rats and mice as food either,because I love snakes,geckos and other animals that eat rats and mice,pinkies...etc.I have to feed my female gecko a live pinky every now and again.

But still rats make awesome pets.Mice are nice too. :)
Must be a hell of a gecko to eat a mouse. That would be fun to see.

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've kept tons of mice in the past. I only have a couple these days, and these are the only pics I have available.

Last edited:

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are mine, the one in the food dish is the male.

two litters of babies, they are from the black & white and brindle females.

My russian dwarf hamsters. The brown one is male, the other 2 are female.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
do rats make the best pets ? as i seen picts of dumbo rats and they say they make the best pets " rats " to have what about the smell ? and can males be kept together ? or just females that can be ? phil

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do rats make the best pets ? as i seen picts of dumbo rats and they say they make the best pets " rats " to have what about the smell ? and can males be kept together ? or just females that can be ? phil
Any pet rat makes a good pet.The variety has nothing to do with the personality,although many people do say dumbos are more calm.I have had really hyper dumbos too though.It depends on the rat's personality.

Rats generally do not have an odor.Nothing like mice anyway.If kept in clean enviroments there is no or very little odor.Of course if you have a large amount of rats (I had 35 at one time) there may be some odor,even with cage cleanings all the time,but it is not too bad.Many females even have a hint of grape juice scent.

Both males and females can be kept together.I currently just have 7 males and they are all in pairs except one,who is a grumpy ol' man.Rats are very social animals and need to be in at least pairs.Males get along quite well together (unlike male mice).

Females and males are a little different in personality tho.Females are more hyper,active and playful and love to explore or play,while males generally are more laid back and lazy and will just sit with you often.If you want more of a lap rat,then get a male...if you want a playful,adventerous little friend,get a female.But as for friendliness...both sexes are really friendly and smart.Males also get alot bigger and squishier then females.

Here are a couple pics of my guys...

Armand sportin' a hat

Milenko - hairless dumbo

I think I am going to make a seperate thread and post some pics of my babies!

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hermitman,I know you from Paw-Talk!! I am Vanilla_Rat over there! I recgonized your mice!

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any pet rat makes a good pet.The variety has nothing to do with the personality,although many people do say dumbos are more calm.I have had really hyper dumbos too though.It depends on the rat's personality.

Rats generally do not have an odor.Nothing like mice anyway.If kept in clean enviroments there is no or very little odor.Of course if you have a large amount of rats (I had 35 at one time) there may be some odor,even with cage cleanings all the time,but it is not too bad.Many females even have a hint of grape juice scent.

Both males and females can be kept together.I currently just have 7 males and they are all in pairs except one,who is a grumpy ol' man.Rats are very social animals and need to be in at least pairs.Males get along quite well together (unlike male mice).

Females and males are a little different in personality tho.Females are more hyper,active and playful and love to explore or play,while males generally are more laid back and lazy and will just sit with you often.If you want more of a lap rat,then get a male...if you want a playful,adventerous little friend,get a female.But as for friendliness...both sexes are really friendly and smart.Males also get alot bigger and squishier then females.

Here are a couple pics of my guys...

Armand sportin' a hat

Milenko - hairless dumbo

I think I am going to make a seperate thread and post some pics of my babies!
thanks i will have a think about them i like the picts ----phil

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Definatly look into them.They make wonderful little pets.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used to have a bunch in a 200 gallon tank. But i got tried of cleaning so much

jimmyx36

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mice are far more smelly than rats. And they're about 1/10 of the size. I think a lot of people will agree with me here.