anyone keep "Daddy long-legs"?

SkorpNtrants

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyone had kept Daddy long-legs?

Although these are not true spiders (no abdomen) they are still true arachnids, I think?

eight leg goth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I cant stand them. in england they eat all tegenaria and scotophaeus. ive kept a few but in the winter they are boring. thy just hang upside down on webs doing nothing. i tried to offer them small criketts but they ignored them.
so yes i have kept them they require pretty much nothing but food and water and maybe a few stiks, but i wont keep them again.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im confused, do you mean harvestmen?.
Daddy longlegs are the dudes with wings right?
they eat tegeneria do they?
hmm tbh around here come soummer, they are in such an abundance they really annoy every onr brecause they fly everywere then die there,lol
Wouldnt dream of keeping them, only british bug s i have is meta menardi, and good ol' woodlouse, whats the advantage with daddylong legs? or ya jus wondering lol?

eight leg goth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
by daddy long legs i am refering to pholcus/ pholcidae the ones with wings are crane fly which to my knowlege dont eat tegenaria. sorry for confusion if you meant harvestman but daddy long legs covers too many species to be specific.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
makes sense, but they eat tegenaria?
suprises me none the less, hehe
Yh local term for daddylong legs can mean too much, either crane fly, or harvestman whic as is know are completely unrelated.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There was someone else who recently posted a thread on a vivarium they created given the opportunity of having a cracked 45gal(?) bowfront aquarium. Stated they kept harvestmen in the enclosure to keep down aphids feeding on the plants.
Harvestmen may be boring (to that other member), but when you have a large group, I find them fascinating. They are common where I live, quite large, about 4 inches across (legspan). My mother's house had several dozen hanging out in the entryway this year. They were grouped so tightly they looked like a single organism.:?
I touched them and they all went bouncing away.{D
I love those little guys.
[edit] I believe there is a book published on their biology, "Biology of Harvestmen", maybe. I seem to remember running across it somewhere...
[edit] here's the thread I mentioned:http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=85830

Last edited: