anyone ID this pede?

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well ive had this centi for a few weeks now - he seems to be doing fine - thing is - he was sold to me as an 'eygyptian centipede'. From what ive seen of the egyptians he dont look anything like them?

Can anyone give me a better idea of the species? He is about 3 inch long at the moment.

cheers,

Stu

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi. :)
That appears to be Scolopendra cingulata. Good hardy sp..

Atrax

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scolopendra cingulata. The common names I've heard used for this sp. are "Megarian Banded Centipede" and "Egyptian Emerald Centipede".

See ya Stu! :)

Atrax

Last edited:

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Atrax I think this pede is commonly called "Megarian Banded Centipede" cause it's native to a place here in greece called "megara"
Guess that the "godfather" is probably a guy with greek roots.....

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Can't I leave you guys alone for 5 minutes???

This is getting ridiculous. I'm going to say two things in regards to this thread and what was in it publically, the rest will be addressed via PM.

1. Sometimes Tutoring is better left in private.

2. People need to learn to accept corrective criticism, especially when it is meant with good intentions.

I don't want to see this crap anymore.......

Scott

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree with Atrax - S. cingulata, and they're most commonly referred to as Egyptian Emerald Centipedes everywhere I've ever seen them available.

bill

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They must have a pretty extensive range. I'll do a little surfing to see if I can find out where it spans to.

Atrax

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So far I'm finding that they range in Africa and Southern Europe.

I am not yet sure of the specific range in either. There doesn't seem to be a whole ton of info in that department. I'll keep looking though.

Stu, apparently you have chosen excellent starter pede there. Mainly because S. cingulata is said to have a mild bite in comparison to most Scolopendra.

Atrax

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
atrax --

yeah, i been reading up on these fellas - they seem to be a reccomended starter pede -

- Anyone know a link for caresheets on this sp?ive done searches on the web but not found anything yet - he seems be doing fine at the moment but I like to read up on these things -

anyone know how big he will grow?

cheers,

Stu