Anyone have one of those exoterra rock dens?

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got one for my desert hairys tank , but that was becuase the only size they had was small. Anyone know exactly how large the "large" ones are? hoping for something my 4 inch curly can fit in.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you talking about those rock cave that sits against the glass and has a cover that attaches magnetically from the outside, so you can peek in without disturbing the animal? I was given one of those by a realtive who recieved it as a sample (she works for a pet suppy distributer). I think they're a neat idea, but poorly executed. I have the medium one, and if it were just a hollow space it would probably by great, but instead they tried to make all these little tunnels and compartments, making it useful for only very small animals.

I would also worry about what would happen if one of the tarantula's (or lizard, scorpion whatever) feet slipped between the glass when the cover was removed. The powerful magnet might crush it when replaced. I suppose if the cave were firmly attached to this glass this could be prevented.

Wade

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mines is separated by a no crush space I made by taping it tightly around the glass tightly and then letting my scorp run in , no problems really unless you get careless and do something stupid its relatively safe. What I was wondering is how big is the "large" one that they have in reality.

by the way it has a big warning sticker when you open it , warning that you level the substrate and make sure theres no cracks between the glass and the rock.

Last edited:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have one of these. It was given to me by a friend who used it for one of his burrowers but the burrower made its own deep burrow so he had no use for it. I love it becase my female Haplopelma sp. doesnt dig her own burrows so she likes to hide in this one. I just set it over top of a trench I dug into the substrate and then buried it with dirt. THis is nice so that it actually looks like a cave and you cant even see the exoterra rock at all and it is against the glass so I can see her in her burrow.