Anyone else think of this

nolan

Arachnopeon
Ok so i have only had t's for a year now and i have a L.paryhabana that some how slip away from the 7th circle of hell and everytime i wanna give her water she kicks hairs and gets a big attitude so getting sick of getting hairs in my hands and arms and completely stressing her out i decided to go to walmart and get a big turkey baster to fill up her bowl with (works like a charm) she hardly notices it no more itchy hands and arms for me lol just wanted to know if anyone else has used this method with more defensive/aggresive t's

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is a good idea so you do not have to reach into the enclosure.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah thats one way.ive seen .. ive seen that, ive seen soda bottles filled with water rigged with tubing that fits through the drilled vent holes . that works great for "hot" ts cuz all ya gotta do is squeeze and viola' water fills the dish.. i personally know what you are dealin with as my parahybana HATED when i refilled the water dish... he'd charge across the tanki and jump in the dish often biting the glass rocks that filled the dish... crazy... i just dumped it through the screen top of the tank

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah thats one way.ive seen .. ive seen that, ive seen soda bottles filled with water rigged with tubing that fits through the drilled vent holes . that works great for "hot" ts cuz all ya gotta do is squeeze and viola' water fills the dish.. i personally know what you are dealin with as my parahybana HATED when i refilled the water dish... he'd charge across the tanki and jump in the dish often biting the glass rocks that filled the dish... crazy... i just dumped it through the screen top of the tank
I have never seen that idea used before but i like it,

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use a 35cc syringe with a 16g needle to fill up water bowls. My 2 LPs have been known to attack the water bowl, the stream of water, and even rush the top of the tank after the source. I raised these boogers from 0.25", they're now ~4+". This is nothing new to them, but they get more and more defensive. I think tomorrow I will get a 12 or 14g teflon catheter from work to avoid them impaling themselves on the needle. Only one of mine has kicked hairs at me and that was during some enclosure maintenance.

My OBT and H. lividums are pussy cats compared to the LPs.

If a turkey baster works, go for it!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
dito mine was a nasty bastard when he wanted to be.. i hope it was a MALE trait as i should be gettin a 3 to 4" FEMALE this week as well as a couple others. " where all the BIG girls at" lol...

nolan

Arachnopeon
I like the soda bottle idea for whenever i decide to step up to the faster more defensive species as i am sensitive to venom and would rather not need a trip to the er lol

rk1983

Arachnopeon
I bought a turkey baster to fill my OBT's water dish because I thought she was going to be really defensive, but didn't end up needing it for that. But I did need it for my Rose Hair because she has the entire floor webbed and as soon as you go near it, she is on full alert, and a lot faster than she looks. {D

nolan

Arachnopeon
Well mine is a 6 in female in heavy premolt gonna be exciting to see how big she gets after she molts lol

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yea nolan i like it too.. when i first saw it i felt really dumb because i never thought of it before.. real simple. real efficient :?

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I got a turkey baster when I got my first t. Works like a charm. When I aquired some P irminia slings that run laps and try to bolt every time I open to mist (they are too small for a water dish) I knew I had to figure something out. So, I got a syringe w/needle and stick the needle through a couple of ventilation holes and put water in that way. Still have to open to feed, but the spraying really gets them going and I didn't want to be chasing them around the room.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i use a lab wash bottle. Works great and I dont have to refill it with every dish.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
.. i personally know what you are dealin with as my parahybana HATED when i refilled the water dish... he'd charge across the tanki and jump in the dish ...
{D Diablo, my vagans, does this too - I drip water from about a foot above his enclosure into his water dish, and the valiant beast attacks - some of his best strike poses are a result of the dreaded water-drip!

As for the turkey baster, I read on another post somewhere that this is also good for creating humidity in an enclosure without affecting the dryness of the surface substrate - do this by inserting the baster through to the bottom of the substrate and injecting water there.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use the same squirt bottle that I mist with, I just change the nozle to "Stream" when I do the water dishes...My Hatian Brown will attack the droplets the strem and anything else it seems for that matter.

axbrown

Arachnopeon
For my H.mac and P.murinus I use a really big suringe that I got from where I used to work (vets office) and attached tubing for a fish tank to it, and slowly feed it into the tank and push the water in.