Anyone else have a snappy chaco golden knee?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I never acted like the number was actually 20%. That's what we like to call an "example". And yes, we do know, without a shadow of doubt or uncertainty, that most must die. We know that by dint of the fact that the world is not literally drowning under a tide of tarantulas. That isn't assumption, that's based on knowledge of an enormous variety of R selected species across all multicellular life, including other spiders. Get out of here with that "we technically don't know" nonsense unless you're aware of a law of physics that magically de-manifests the excess tarantulas.

And to clarify the issue, on the chance that english isn't your native language (in which case I do genuinely commend you for speaking better english than I do any second language).

"Condescending and aggressive- subjective terms. Not to mention you are reading words and cannot infer tone in any manner, a cursory understanding of grammar would inform you of this."- It is entirely possible to convey and interpret tone in writing, don't argue in bad faith, as that's also rude.

"Your T is going to die perhaps if you keep up your bad husbandry, i.e tong craziness."- A dire warning, i.e "your care is so bad it is an severe risk to the health of your animal". You could have just said, the way everyone else managed to, "Don't feed with tongs" or "Feeding with tongs can cause injury to the spider and yourself" You choose a much more strongly worded way of saying it, which comes across as aggressive.

"Who the hell feeds a T with silverware"-Unnecessary exaggeration. Tongs are used by many in the hobby for various purposes, and asking "who the hell feeds a T with silverware" to describe that did not come from a genuine effort to offer advice. Its purpose comes across much more as "get a load of this guy feeding his T with silverware", i.e condescension

"You think they are spoonfed in the wild??!!!"-Same issues as the silverware comment. Unnecessary exaggeration and condescension. Also frankly irrelevant given that our T's are not in the wild and never will be.

"Do your T a favor and research husbandry here on AB"-Implying that I don't do research on the care of my pets. I am literally here, right now, getting husbandry advice. Advice which everyone but yourself managed to deliver, in thread, with a minimum of condescension and rudeness.

And no, you didn't outright break the rules of the forum, you just phrased your entire initial reply, and every subsequent reply, to be excessively rude and portray me as less intelligent and less adequate in my ability to care for my pets. So, if you didn't want people characterizing your commentary as aggressive or condescending, you wouldn't have written in an aggressive or condescending manner. It would be wise of you to stop jumping down peoples throats, as it will make you more enemies than friends.
There's a couple of reasons I don't always provide detailed information:

1. I don't know what you actually know, thus anything I write you may already know, thus wasting YOUR time and mine. Quite a few times I've typed out detailed explanations or suggestions etc, only for the OP to write "I already know that". What a waste of time for both involved. :rofl:
2. There are TONS of people who have fed with tongs for an example. I think it is far more effective for someone to search for the answer to some degree because by reading the posts here, they will get not just 1 view point, but MANY view points. And most importantly, often in threads there is unrelated information that one learns that is ACTUALLY helpful for something else. There is a ton of info I have not from asking a specific question and getting said answer, but from reading the threads and learning what others have written.

You mentioned 20%, I thought you had some data, hence my question for peer-reviewed data. If you actually had a source I would have been interested in reading it, for the second time. I don't see how more clear I could have been. Others would be interested as well.

It's not possible to accurately interpret tone. One can guess, but unless one is a mind reader, one cannot do that accurately if at all.

Aggressive- subjective terminology, nothing more. One person's aggressive is another person's direct. They are both opinions, and NOT facts :rofl: You state that my post is aggressive, again that is YOUR opinion. It is not a FACT. I don't care that you think it's aggressive or not, that's never been point. My point is whatever one calls a response (happy, sad, crappy etc), it's all opinion. I've read things on here I thought were horribly sad, yet other people thought they were funny. Neither person is wrong, they are opinions.

You seem not to get the above point.

Unnecessary- that's your opinion. I use hyperbole all the time to make a point. :rofl:

Hyperbole- again

I never suggested you weren't intelligent. If you think that by my responses it demonstrates to me that at a minimum you are reading too much into words on a screen. Your intelligence has no bearing on my response. In point of fact I have no idea how intelligent you are, nor do I care.

Anyway, we disagree, that's fine. I'm not here to convince you of anything.

You can always put my screen name on your ignore list. Then you have nothing to be concerned about. Life is not a popularity contest, nor should it be.

Last edited:

SouthernBiophilist98

Arachnopeon
There's a couple of reasons I don't always provide detailed information:

1. I don't know what you actually know, thus anything I write you may already know, thus wasting YOUR time and mine. Quite a few times I've typed out detailed explanations or suggestions etc, only for the OP to write "I already know that". What a waste of time for both involved. :rofl:
2. There are TONS of people who have fed with tongs for an example. I think it is far more effective for someone to search for the answer to some degree because by reading the posts here, they will get not just 1 view point, but MANY view points. And most importantly, often in threads there is unrelated information that one learns that is ACTUALLY helpful for something else. There is a ton of info I have not from asking a specific question and getting said answer, but from reading the threads and learning what others have written.

You mentioned 20%, I thought you had some data, hence my question for peer-reviewed data. If you actually had a source I would have been interested in reading it, for the second time. I don't see how more clear I could have been. Others would be interested as well.

It's not possible to accurately interpret tone. Once can guess, but unless one is a mind reader, one cannot do that accurately if at all.

Aggressive- subjective terminology, nothing more. One person's aggressive is another person's direct. They are both opinions, and NOT facts :rofl: You state that my post is aggressive, again that is YOUR opinion. It is not a FACT. I don't care that you think it's aggressive or not, that's never been point. My point is whatever one calls a response (happy, sad, crappy etc), it's all opinion. I've read things on here I thought were horribly sad, yet other people thought they were funny. Neither person is wrong, they are opinions.

You seem not to get the above point.

Unnecessary- that's your opinion. I use hyperbole all the time to make a point. :rofl:

Hyperbole- again

I never suggested you weren't intelligent.Your intelligence has no bearing on my response. In point of fact I have no idea how intelligent you are, nor do I care.

Anyway, we disagree, that's fine. I'm not here to convince you of anything.

You can always put my screen name on your ignore list. Then you have nothing to be concerned about. Life is not a popularity contest, nor should it be.
Your hyperbole wasn't necessary. As many others managed to provide better advice without using it.
You're right, people do see tone in writing differently. Perhaps then, it would be wise to state things without an excess of hyperbole and nonsense that could easily be misinterpreted? It is very, very easy to see what you wrote as condescending, as there are common and widely accepted understanding of what different words and phrases mean. You could have phrased much more simply and this would not have been an issue.

Regrettably tarantulas as a group are horrendously understudied, we need more folks working on taxonomy and ecology for many species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your hyperbole wasn't necessary. As many others managed to provide better advice without using it.
You're right, people do see tone in writing differently. Perhaps then, it would be wise to state things without an excess of hyperbole and nonsense that could easily be misinterpreted? It is very, very easy to see what you wrote as condescending, as there are common and widely accepted understanding of what different words and phrases mean. You could have phrased much more simply and this would not have been an issue.

Regrettably tarantulas as a group are horrendously understudied, we need more folks working on taxonomy and ecology for many species.
You are cracking me up over here...."without an excess of hyperbole", again that too is subjective, Is 1 line of hyperbole too much, is 5 etc, and one thing you and many others forget to address in such a statement--- How the hell is the person responding supposed to know the "correct" amount a priori :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Not to mention know a priori what is offensive, again a SUBJECTIVE term. The answer- it's impossible.

There's plenty of taxonomy out there, could be more for sure. The area I wish we had more knowledge is their behavior in the wild, and their physiology. But there's no money in that..just in taxonomy and venom studies. That's it really.

SouthernBiophilist98

Arachnopeon
You are cracking me up over here...."without an excess of hyperbole", again that too is subjective, Is 1 line of hyperbole too much, is 5 etc, and one thing you and many others forget to address in such a statement--- How the hell is the person responding supposed to know the "correct" amount a priori :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Not to mention know a priori what is offensive, again a SUBJECTIVE term. The answer- it's impossible.

There's plenty of taxonomy out there, could be more for sure. The area I wish we had more knowledge is their behavior in the wild, and their physiology. But there's no money in that..just in taxonomy and venom studies. That's it really.
Thats why it would be wise to minimize it, no?

And its the same way with most invertebrates than arent of economic importance sadly. I cant find any good references for the terrestrial gastropods in my area to save my life.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thats why it would be wise to minimize it, no?

And its the same way with most invertebrates than arent of economic importance sadly. I cant find any good references for the terrestrial gastropods in my area to save my life.
So true on inverts, even bees, we don't know nearly as much as we should. W/out them, a lot of plants we need would drop dead.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Interesting, new info for me, I was under the impression that pulchripes was (on average of course) a more laid back species.
which was the impression people had of G. rosea when they were new. Some are just cranky, and it seems to be genus wide

Scp682

Arachnoknight
Yikes mate, dont have to be aggressive about it. It is possible to offer advice without <edit>.To clarify, it was very timid initially and I used the tongs to place the food items (prekilled mealworms) near it. I dont brush up on the wee thing with them, as Ive heard and seen the stories of them running up tongs at people.

Thank you for the advice. This is the enclosure it was sold to me in and I was told it would be good for a few more molts (it has molted twice thus far), I added the bark which is is hollow underneath. Its behavior has changed drastically since the last molt; it was calm, bordering on timid. Didnt react much when I opened the enclosure to feed and only gently grasped prey items. Now it darts around looking for anything disturbing the enclosure and has a ~much~ more aggressive feeding response.

Exactly what happened with mine.

Wasnt aware of the first, have seen plenty of videos of the second. Thanks for the info.

Interesting, new info for me, I was under the impression that pulchripes was (on average of course) a more laid back species.
There's not near enough substrate, the enclosure will work but needs ~2 inches sub minimum. Tarantulas usually have behavioral changes with each molt so that's usual. Pulchripes is usually "laid back" but again gramastolas are known to "break the rules". Again, it's most likely stressed from being insecure as it can't burrow due to the inadequate substrate amount and compensation with more "aggressive" tendencies.

I would point out that a great and overwhelming majority of T's die in the wild before they reach maturity, and I would rather mine did not. In the same vein, if we only ever did things the ~natural~ way, you and I would be eating our meat raw and sleeping in trees.
Yes, but this is mostly due to predation and uncontrollable variables in nature like weather (floods) and natural "disasters" (fires). This is all part of the natural system of balances in order to keep everything's population at a healthy number to keep one species from getting too successful and causing a butterfly effect in the ecosystem. In captivity you control everything so there shouldn't be any instances where they get killed off by something like that (unless you set your house on fire etc).
Yes, but let's always remember that here we are talking about keeping T's in captivity, where there's nothing 'external' able to harm those (like the 'in the wild' predators, or natural events like floodings etc) except for our bad care - I'm talking in general, at 360°, now, I'm not saying that your care isn't correct.

But there's the other side of the coin of captivity keeping: In fact, barely no T's in the wild dies for such a thing like "anal impaction" or whatever, since they eat and live in a total opportunistic way. In captivity, on the other hand, T's are basically living 24/7 in a Waldorf Astoria suite, nurtured with all the comforts at hand, without paying a damn. Hence why very often T's turns obese like Yokozuna's Sumo champions, IMO leading - not always, but chances % are good - to various health issues in the medium/long run.
^^^

Last edited by a moderator: