Anybody ID this scarab?

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
I recently accuired a pair of these from a pet shop but have no idea of species. :confused:

Any help on husbandry also appreciated. Thanks

PS sorry about the quality of pics but the little buggers wont sit still.

PPS both photos are of the male.

Attachments

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
man! i could just imagine the size of the crap this beetle pushes around{D very awesome beetle at that:clap:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
That's really cool! Don't worry about them both being male, nobody has had luck breeding dung beetles (even with the right kind of 'media'). They should eat dry dog food with no problem and be kept on a layer of damp soil. They have a thick shell but still desiccate. Some dung beetles like Scarabus sacre can live a year or two as pets (when fed and kept damp).

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
That's really cool! Don't worry about them both being male, nobody has had luck breeding dung beetles (even with the right kind of 'media'). They should eat dry dog food with no problem and be kept on a layer of damp soil. They have a thick shell but still desiccate. Some dung beetles like Scarabus sacre can live a year or two as pets (when fed and kept damp).
I do have a pair actually but I could not find the female when I took the pics. They spend all of their time burried. Because they never come out, I have not seen them feed yet. They are on a substrate of birch leaf mould and pulverised rotten birch wood. I thought that they had been known to breed in this substrate:confused: I have only offered them banana and apple so far. I wondered if they were eating the substrate:confused: I will try the dry dog food any way.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
They are on a substrate of birch leaf mould and pulverised rotten birch wood. I thought that they had been known to breed in this substrate:confused:
That would be for rhino or flower beetles which are different types of scarabs, dung beetles bury pieces of dung in the ground for the grubs to develop on and require a specific type of dung and a specific freshness (a main difficulty in captive breeding).

I have only offered them banana and apple so far. I wondered if they were eating the substrate:confused: I will try the dry dog food any way.
They might eat the banana but again, wrong type of scarab.