Any T's native to kansas??

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was just wondering if there were any T's that could be found in kansas? If so where, and what type?

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sure there is........

There is the Aphonopelma Hentzi , it is very common there, and in Okla. I do not have any pics. handy, but I am sure a search could find some. I could not tell you where to find them there, as here in Okla. they are spotty, either there is a bunch, or there is none. A local hill here by the Arkansas river has some. And they are scattered throughout the plains as well. In fact, in one of the A.T.S. books, I think by Breene , said the A. Hentzi vies for the title of longest lived T, claiming one from Kansas was over 30 years old! Maybe I will go looking for some this year.:)

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
DirtyDuck! - I PM'd you a while back, but I was thinking you might not have checked yet since you're new to the board. Hit the "user cp" button on the top right of the page - you should get my message.

BTW - I went on a fruitless spider hunt in Kansas City suburbia - where my friends had spotted a 4" spider - tried the methods listed in the TKG to catch it, but couldn't get it to make an appearance.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by dirtyduck
I was just wondering if there were any T's that could be found in kansas? If so where, and what type?
Its been over 20 years, but 30 miles south of Wichita in prairie pastures I use to find tarantulas. In the same dry grassland habitat as collar lizards and giant redheaded centipedes.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
My sister's boyfriend, who lives is Pittsburg, KS (southeast corner) found an Aphonoplema sp. (probably hentzi) on his property. Unfortunately he turned it loose after photographing it, instead of saving it for me!

Joy

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Train that boy

Originally posted by Joy
My sister's boyfriend, who lives is Pittsburg, KS (southeast corner) found an Aphonoplema sp. (probably hentzi) on his property. Unfortunately he turned it loose after photographing it, instead of saving it for me!

Joy
Joy,

You still have time to train him in the ways of spider collecting... have your sister work on him.