Any tips for keeping cats away from my tarantula shelf?

radiomace

Arachnopeon
Update: Just wanted to let y'all know I figured out a solution. I cut a piece of screen mesh (like the material used on porches) to the right size so that it can wrap around the entire front of the shelf. Then I hot-glued these strong magnets to the four corners and this allows me to attach / remove the screen covers easily (the black parts of the shelf are metal) without disturbing the spiders. This solution means I can still see the enclosures & they still get ventilation but my cats can't do anything. So far they haven't tried anything :)

View attachment 472096 View attachment 472097 View attachment 472098
This is an AMAZING idea!!! I had a pretty nasty cat incident a few months ago so I've been having my room blocked off since, but I really hate having my door closed. Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!!

drusila

Arachnopeon
Keeping large mammals that like to jump, climb,play, kill around enclosures that are easily opened, broken, cracked, or fall is basically a bad idea. Cats shouldnt be allowed near a spider shelf. Or any shelf with fragile or living things. It's easier to close a door than make an accident proof shelf setup that actually works. Vipers suggestion of a fence works, but is ugly and inconvenient, I doubt many would do this.

Many people will say they don't have problems. but it's not if, it's when. Not worth the risk. Communal tarantula setups seem more logical than cats with tarantula enclosures to be honest. It's just a bad idea. same as say reptile enclosures with top lighting. cats and electronics, especially heat ones, bad idea! Cats are killers, very active and very playful. That's very dangerous. If a person is willing to trust their most treasured China inherited by the Queen or delicate crystal figurines etc on a high shelf with their cats, then maybe you can trust your cat around a tank lol. Even then, a pet is far more responsibility than the most priceless of treasures. simply not worth it.

Like a seat belt. usually don't need it, but when things hit the fan, regret is the only thing people will be posting afterwards. easier to prevent the problem. no cats.
So I explained the entire situation in my original post; it's not possible to keep the enclosures in a different room since my studio apartment is entirely open except for the bathroom. I can't change that & I also already have the cats so there's really no way to change that either. I love both my tarantulas and my cats, so I was looking for a solution that would work with my current situation. The shelf setup I used to have worked just fine; the shelves were more enclosed on a basic bookcase and the tiers were shorter so there was no free space above the enclosures that allowed for the cats to climb inside. I had no problems with this except it was difficult to see some of the enclosures & they couldn't be opened without removing them from the shelf. I'm currently trying out the mesh screen method I shared in another reply and we'll see if that works. I understand the situation is not ideal but at the moment I am looking for a solution that doesn't involve me getting rid of my cats.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So I explained the entire situation in my original post; it's not possible to keep the enclosures in a different room since my studio apartment is entirely open except for the bathroom. I can't change that & I also already have the cats so there's really no way to change that either. I love both my tarantulas and my cats, so I was looking for a solution that would work with my current situation. The shelf setup I used to have worked just fine; the shelves were more enclosed on a basic bookcase and the tiers were shorter so there was no free space above the enclosures that allowed for the cats to climb inside. I had no problems with this except it was difficult to see some of the enclosures & they couldn't be opened without removing them from the shelf. I'm currently trying out the mesh screen method I shared in another reply and we'll see if that works. I understand the situation is not ideal but at the moment I am looking for a solution that doesn't involve me getting rid of my cats.
Yup. My reply was/is just a general reality, not intended toward should or anyone specific. Just about cats + other pets. I like your mesh as well. but still, risks exist. Just last month an aquarist friend of mine had one of his cats pry open a wooden lid and get inside. Broke all the lights, which is probably why not only killed the cat but also the innocent fish. Lid was solid and enclosed and heavy. Aquarium was on a perfectly sized table (zero ledge slace). They just like to jump and kill. It's as natural as humans drinking water. It's reality.

Not a problem til it's a problem, is the take home issue. So I I took allow cats/dogs near tanks. We have earthquakes. Often. Also, like cats killing, natural and unpredictable. So things need to be adjusted for that.

Cats are top level predators. We try and work around, justify etc etc. My only point was, let's just be real about what they are. They are top killers, very capable, very smart, very curious and like to play a lot. huge risk. Less for hunting the spiders than breaking stuff.

I love cats, don't get me wrong. But looking at pictures of people's cats posing calmly in front of fairly unprotected little containers makes my butt cheeks cringe :lol: It seems irresponsible if we are being objective about things. No offense intended. Just being honest with concerns :)

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Yup. My reply was/is just a general reality, not intended toward should or anyone specific. Just about cats + other pets. I like your mesh as well. but still, risks exist. Just last month an aquarist friend of mine had one of his cats pry open a wooden lid and get inside. Broke all the lights, which is probably why not only killed the cat but also the innocent fish. Lid was solid and enclosed and heavy. Aquarium was on a perfectly sized table (zero ledge slace). They just like to jump and kill. It's as natural as humans drinking water. It's reality.
Not a problem til it's a problem, is the take home issue. So I I took allow cats/dogs near tanks. We have earthquakes. Often. Also, like cats killing, natural and unpredictable. So things need to be adjusted for that.
Cats are top level predators. We try and work around, justify etc etc. My only point was, let's just be real about what they are. They are top killers, very capable, very smart, very curious and like to play a lot. huge risk. Less for hunting the spiders than breaking stuff.
I love cats, don't get me wrong. But looking at pictures of people's cats posing calmly in front of fairly unprotected little containers makes my butt cheeks cringe :lol: It seems irresponsible if we are being objective about things. No offense intended. Just being honest with concerns :)
I concur with your opinion. This is all risk mitigation until something goes awry. If I couldn't isolate the 2, I'd probably be forced to make a decision. I have a T / Reptile Room and if I had a cat, I'd never let them in. We have a neighbor cat that welcomes themselves to our home, I make sure she never gets in that room.
Besides being predators, Cats are just killers, I watched our neighbor cat torture a mouse for close to an hour before killing it, and then it just left it.

drusila

Arachnopeon

I concur with your opinion. This is all risk mitigation until something goes awry. If I couldn't isolate the 2, I'd probably be forced to make a decision. I have a T / Reptile Room and if I had a cat, I'd never let them in. We have a neighbor cat that welcomes themselves to our home, I make sure she never gets in that room.
Besides being predators, Cats are just killers, I watched our neighbor cat torture a mouse for close to an hour before killing it, and then it just left it.
I understand. I wish I had a separate space for the tarantulas, but I may end up investing some time & money into a more secure shelving solution. Both me & my dad are pretty handy so I've discussed the possibility of modifications or custom building a better shelving unit / area for the spiders. I appreciate the advice!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Don’t get one

I‘ve been considering an indoor cat recently but I find them impractical after keeping tarantulas. Also, I cringe when I hear people call cats human names, plus the price of vaccinations etc. Indoor cat seem to need everything (cut nails etc) compared to cats that go outside and so many breeds have health issues.

IME cats love boxes, so place boxes around in some places? Maybe buy some high toys it can climb? Are there places in your studio you can move your Ts to?
Cats should not be outside. One of the most detrimental invasive species aside from humans.

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
I mean... could feed the cats to spooders:angelic:.
:rofl::rofl: Nah I love most animals can't even bring myself to let my dogs hunt the wild skinks and anoles that live around my house. The magnets and mesh was a great idea, and I love your display absolutely beautiful.
Now maybe it's just that the only cat I would ever be willing to keep is a Maine coon (big enough to be used as a guard to scare off an intruder (or eat someone's chihuahua if and when needed:lol:) but keeping cats with really anything else including humans isn't always the greatest idea especially things that fall under a cat's favorite hobby of knocking things over. In a post a while back I mentioned how my aunt who breeds both a Russian and Ukrainian (yes I see the irony) species of hypo allergenic cats and she makes good money with them, but one almost took off her finger. And look to state real fast I'm not being a "dog guy" just here to hate on cats, because I'm even wary about considering keeping dogs and anything in a tank since most dogs like to counter surf and if they have a long enough tail slap that sucker around at mach speed. Not just dogs and cats either though because i'd rather keep cats than small children around a tarantula display (more of a personal thing there though).
I also understand that any pet owner with a shred of decency loves and cares for their animals, so I'm not saying you should get rid of one or the either because I couldn't do it either. This much like most of the other posts on this thread are a warning to anyone considering mixing and matching their animal collections. Now if people want to get both it could potentially be fine as long as you have doors with round knobs NOT the lever style. If your curious as to why go watch the amazing movie that is the first Jurassic Park movie, because cats and even my dogs have figured out how to open them quite easily.
Back to your ask for help though I definitely agree with the fact that using things like foil and water bottles (or a small nerf gun if looking to keep surrounding areas dry) while not the most aesthetically pleasing it should keep risks to a minimum. As for the mesh... I don't know about your cats but I have seen others scratching posts, so first if they don't already have one maybe that would work to divert their attention. Also since it's mesh they will probably try and climb it which unless your using industrial grade magnets will probably pull of the net or wire (whichever your'e using).

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Cats should not be outside. One of the most detrimental invasive species aside from humans.
I concur, and dangerous to the health of the cat. Feline Leukemia, Feline AIDS, Coyotes......
and if you want something small and cuddly that isn't a threat to your T Collection or anything living, get a house rabbit. All the bennies of a cat with none of the negatives. Plus there's an abundance ready to adopt because of easter idiots

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I mean... could feed the cats to spooders:angelic:.
:rofl::rofl: Nah I love most animals can't even bring myself to let my dogs hunt the wild skinks and anoles that live around my house. The magnets and mesh was a great idea, and I love your display absolutely beautiful.
Now maybe it's just that the only cat I would ever be willing to keep is a Maine coon (big enough to be used as a guard to scare off an intruder (or eat someone's chihuahua if and when needed:lol:) but keeping cats with really anything else including humans isn't always the greatest idea especially things that fall under a cat's favorite hobby of knocking things over. In a post a while back I mentioned how my aunt who breeds both a Russian and Ukrainian (yes I see the irony) species of hypo allergenic cats and she makes good money with them, but one almost took off her finger. And look to state real fast I'm not being a "dog guy" just here to hate on cats, because I'm even wary about considering keeping dogs and anything in a tank since most dogs like to counter surf and if they have a long enough tail slap that sucker around at mach speed. Not just dogs and cats either though because i'd rather keep cats than small children around a tarantula display (more of a personal thing there though).
I also understand that any pet owner with a shred of decency loves and cares for their animals, so I'm not saying you should get rid of one or the either because I couldn't do it either. This much like most of the other posts on this thread are a warning to anyone considering mixing and matching their animal collections. Now if people want to get both it could potentially be fine as long as you have doors with round knobs NOT the lever style. If your curious as to why go watch the amazing movie that is the first Jurassic Park movie, because cats and even my dogs have figured out how to open them quite easily.
Back to your ask for help though I definitely agree with the fact that using things like foil and water bottles (or a small nerf gun if looking to keep surrounding areas dry) while not the most aesthetically pleasing it should keep risks to a minimum. As for the mesh... I don't know about your cats but I have seen others scratching posts, so first if they don't already have one maybe that would work to divert their attention. Also since it's mesh they will probably try and climb it which unless your using industrial grade magnets will probably pull of the net or wire (whichever your'e using).
How do you stop a dog from attacking lizards 🦎? Our huskies would constantly kill moles but they both died 🥲and our new dogs never killed moles.

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
Umm... So I have two female German shorthaired pointers and they aren't the biggest dogs so I can typically hold them back just long enough for me to scare the lizards out of their reach.
Also sorry to hear about your huskies they are beautiful dogs and great companions ( I dog sat one).

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
There's no one-size fits all solution for cats since some are angels when it comes to not bothering terrariums while others like a little mischief. What worked for me is putting tin foil on surfaces I don't want the cat to jump on for a few weeks until they learned.

Also, if you are getting your cat treated for fleas, make sure to use a liquid applied to skin like revolution plus. Some parasite medication can be harmful to pet arthropods!