Any Tarantula Suggestions?

basement pets

Arachnosquire
I am new to the hobby and only have one tarantula now, (GBB) but I really want to get a few more once the temperature in my area warms up. So if anyone has any suggestions about some new additions it would be great!

cold blood

Staff member
G. pulchripes, B. albopilosum, B. vagans, A. chalcodes, N. chromatus, A. geniculata, B. cabocla...and so on...

basement pets

Arachnosquire
Can anyone tell me more about N. Chromatus? I am thinking about picking one up. Would it be okay for me because I am a begginer. If so, does anyone have any care tips?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How long have you owned your GBB, and what size is it?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Can anyone tell me more about N. Chromatus? I am thinking about picking one up. Would it be okay for me because I am a begginer. If so, does anyone have any care tips?
I have two juveniles. They are still pretty light-sensitive at 2.5 inches, only coming out when it's dark. (You can get some kind of red light to see them at night, and it doesn't disturb them.) This kind of behavior often goes away as they get bigger, and they're more likely to be out in the open. They're very good eaters. Nhandu in general tend to be high-strung. Not necessarily defensive, but very easily startled and quick to run around. I have 3 N. tripepii as well, and they all act rather nervous. They're less ideal starters than Brachypelma and Grammostola, but doable as long as you are careful IMO. Care is not much different than any other NW terrestrial...hide, water dish, and it's good to give them an area of moist substrate that they can go onto if they want to. Just overflow the water dish a bit, let it dry out, and repeat. Nhandu do get fairly large, so plan your shelf space accordingly.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
You could probably get away with it if you purchase a sling. Adults can be pretty defensive and skittish, and wouldn't be the best second tarantula. They are an incredibly stunning species though, definitely a must have for any long time hobbyist.

Minty

@londontarantulas
7E981D9C-6AAE-4A15-8A0D-79F086939887.jpeg
Brachypelma emilia

435B009E-1DCE-4D84-9064-2864B785CEF4.jpeg
Brachypelma albopilosum

Basically, anything Brachypelma would be a good choice.

3Spider

Arachnopeon
A eupalaestrus campestratus is nice little tarantula, mine currently is only a sling. But they are really calm and do some nice burrows as slings. Only negative I guess is slow growing.