Any one wanna help??

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And also when keeping reptiles or any animal there is a chance that it will get out of its enclosure. it happens to everybody at some point. My retic escaped out of her cage once and it was nobody's fault but hers, she shattered the glass in her cage but at that point she was housed in the snake barn (at my former residence) so there was no chance of her actually getting out into the wild. And if you look through the boards there are quite a few posts about escapee tarantulas and slings. But thats okay right its not their fault it escaped because, T slings are just so fast... This is true that's why these people should also be RESPONSIBLE by handling cleaning etc their T's in an area that if it does make a run for it you can safely capture it and place it back in its enclosure. And like she said she is HUMAN she made a MISTAKE, everybody makes mistakes.
Anytime an animal escapes from an enclosure it it the owners fault. Your snake should not be able to break the glass of its enclosure. If it can the glass you used was not thick/strong enough. Same goes for the sling. If it gets away it is 100% the owners fault

I do agree that everyone makes mistakes. It just takes a responsible owner to fix that mistake BEFORE a year passes.

And as far as the hobby goes she is doing the right thing by keeping it quiet, and not contacting the authorities. If the authorities were contacted it would surely be on the news and everything that would be bad for the hobby.
Whats if a child or a family pet went to that lake? What would be a better headline?

"Giant snake reunited with (or confiscated from negligent) owner."
or
"Escaped giant snake kills local child/pet."

A year is a LONG time and their could be plenty of chances for something to go very badly. She and the hobby are lucky that nothing happened but it was a big risk to take and it could have gone very differently.

Josh1129

Arachnopeon
The better headline is no headline, thats all there is to it. and as far as the shattering the glass it was glass that was over a quarter inch thick. Same glass used in many reptile enclosures. A retic is capable of breaking the glass out of almost any enclosure if it wants to. And as she stated she was pregnant and does not know many people that would help her. I am not saying that the snake being out for a whole year was a good thing but, when a snake gets outside it is like a needle in a haystack. And as far as pets or kids go, it hasn't happened or else it would be in the headlines. I know the possibility is there but at only ten foot a child that is big enough to be going to a lake by him/her self should be big enough to get a ten footer off of them if god forbid it were to happen. My main thing with this thread is look at the title "anyone wanna help??" it is not does anybody want to criticize me for my mistake. if somebody posts something like this and states that she knows that she made a mistake and does not need it shoved in her face over and over again. I'm not trying to sound mean and I know a lot of people on here have way more experience than me but we are supposed to try and help people on forums, isn't that what they are for???? I just know what it is like to go onto a forum and post a question just to get answers from people trying to make you feel dumb. It scares a lot of people away and that leads to even more problems because they don't get the help they need, so the animal either dies, gets released or even worse made to suffer through its life with improper care.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree that no headline is the best thing but again it was a big risk and it is luck that saved the day.

As for the responses that have been posted. Yes its a place to learn from others and get help and all that but if you make excuses for something that is a big deal you need to be scolded plain and simple. If you have are pregnant and have a retic, have someone you know that can help you or don't have a retic. She did admit that she made a mistake and is finally fixing it which is good but it took he a long time.

Now if she was the only person reading this it would be fine to end it but since this forum is open to the public other people besides her are reading/learning from every post on this entire forum. If people are here defending what she has done by saying "everyone makes mistakes" other people could misinterpret the severity of leaving a retic in a pond until you can find help in a year.

And if a pet escapes it is your fault. Blaming it on the glass or the snake takes all accountability away from the owner. I do commend you for having a snake proof building/room which anyone with snakes should have and that prevented you from a similar situation.

Josh1129

Arachnopeon
By no means was I implying that because it was a mistake that it was okay. Also no one knows where the snake has been for the entire year. If it was hanging around that small of a body of water for a whole year, it either isn't in a very populated area or else somebody would have seen it. Once again I'm not suggesting in any way that because it was a mistake that it's okay. Anyways good luck on the capture tomorrow please snap a couple pics of the snake AFTER it is caught so that way the pics aren't floating around on the internet labeled "snake caught in neighborhood pond" that would be just as bad as headlines.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The reason it has not been seen by any one else, is because the lake is privat property, its a friend of mines property at that. the kids that go to fish in it are 16-19 years old, i know not really kids but still. The lake is surrounded by woods with very old, very tall trees, thats the reason she was not even spotted till september, by then i was way to far into my pregnancy to risk wrestling with her, and the only 3 people i know that would help...well one only has one leg, and the other two where to busy with work. I know it was a extreamly bad mistake, i will NEVER say its ok, or alright to make a mistake like i did, again it was my fault for trusting my husband knew what he was doing after telling me about living with a 15 foot burm, whos home was the apartments bathroom X_x that there SHOULD have been a red flag. I do appreciate the helpfull tips and the good wishes on the capture of the snake, but i DO NOT appreciate people saying thay hope she dies and telling me how much of a idiot i am and that i should not own one ever again. Ive only had TWO pets ever escape and both where because i was out of town and some one else taking care of them, the retic is one, my iguana when i was 7 years old was another, but the iduana did not get out of the house and was found the very next night. ((lil bro put the heat lamp up against the tank to hard and shattered the glass)) Up untill January i had not made a mistake that allowed a pet to escape again. Remember i had a baby two months ago as of yesterday and im still healing and going threw bad moodswings. So im sorry if i snap at any one, Normally i take critisism well. But atleast i STILL am admiting my mistake, and to any one reading this that might think its ok..... NEVER LEAVE A DANGOURSE PET WITH ANY ONE THAT HAS 4 YEARS OF EXPERIANCE WITH SOME THING THAT COMES NO WHERE NEAR THE SEVERITY OF YOUR PET! Find a person that knows what thay are doing from MANY years of experiance.

Crawly

Arachnopeon
A lot of people in your situation would probably just turn their head the other way and leave the snake out there. I've heard of many accounts of that, even in my area, sometimes intentionally also. One guy decided that it would be nice to have a population of Collared Lizards in one of the local wildlife preserves and released a bunch. They naturally reproduced and became a problem. So I think it's a good thing that your trying to do something about it. Heck, if I lived down there I'd make the drive to help out, I love field excursions and catching wild snakes.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So how did it get outside of your house to begin with? Also what kind of cage did you have that it got out like that? I can kind of see it getting out of a cage sometimes people forget but outside?

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It got out threw the Dryer vent tube, i live in a mobile home, and my husband was replacing the dryer the day she got out. Her tank was one with a sliding lid with a lock on it.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are several people here in Austin that would get together and do it for the challenge, but Houston is too far I think. Surely there are snake wranglers there that would do it. I'd go to a herp site and look for people from the Houston area.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I won't be much help nor do I have the time, however there's a reptile in Pasadena this weekend. It lasts from Saturday to Sunday. You should go there and talk to people and ask for their help.

More details at www.repticon.com

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I won't be much help nor do I have the time, however there's a reptile in Pasadena this weekend. It lasts from Saturday to Sunday. You should go there and talk to people and ask for their help.

More details at www.repticon.com
Man how do this events sneak up on me and catch me unprepared?

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just plan wrong

people like you not being responsible are the people that has caused so much
trouble for the hobby.:embarrassed:
Then you post your behavior on a forum....:wall: