any one use zoo med excavator substrate

baltazar

Arachnopeon
:confused:i have bine wondering if any body has used the zoo med excavator clay burrowing substrate i have heard that it is great for burrowers and it also looks cool like desert soil.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I tried it... it becomes rock hard and stays where you put it.. I didnt like it at all. Mt T stayed off of it.

baltazar

Arachnopeon
she likes it

i just put it in the clay substrat and it looks good my t seems to enjoy it.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just bought some. I'm going to mix a little bit with coco fiber so that I can set up an obligate burrower enclosure with an entrance that is in front of a "cliff" rather than on the top of the substrate, so that I can see the T's in the entrance of their burrows at night without moving the cage.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my plan is to use straight coco fiber for most of the enclosure, but to use a mix of excavator and coco fiber for the outer most layer, let it dry and harden to kind of hold the whole thing together. Watering will be from the bottom so the pure coco fiber should stay moist, while the outermost layer dries out. I've designed an enclosure that will have a little trough on the front that should allow the bottom 2 inches of the enclosure to remain moist, while the remainder dries out. Also, this cage will open to the front and have a slope. The entrance to burrow will be on the side of a "cliff". I've ordered plexi and it should be here tomorrow, I'll take pics of the enclosure when finished.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my plan is to use straight coco fiber for most of the enclosure, but to use a mix of excavator and coco fiber for the outer most layer, let it dry and harden to kind of hold the whole thing together. Watering will be from the bottom so the pure coco fiber should stay moist, while the outermost layer dries out. I've designed an enclosure that will have a little trough on the front that should allow the bottom 2 inches of the enclosure to remain moist, while the remainder dries out. Also, this cage will open to the front and have a slope. The entrance to burrow will be on the side of a "cliff". I've ordered plexi and it should be here tomorrow, I'll take pics of the enclosure when finished.
i've had a mix/setup sort of similar to this for my B. bohemei who has never shown any inclination to burrow, and it seems to be keeping okay humidity for the last three or four months. while i don't think this is the most practical substrate idea (or the best thing you could do for the T), it looks pretty sick and makes it look like a true display enclosure.

baltazar

Arachnopeon
g rosea looks as if she is living in the wild!

i put the clay in the encloser i kind of made a couple of inclines and stuck some dry grass and put in a peek a view burrow made by T Rex.the t that is living in it is a G Rosea who naturally are known to burrow.G Rosea's natural range is the desert of Argentina and Chile. i got some pics if you check my posts you will see G Rosea desert habitat when you see it click and it should work.{D

Last edited: