Any old worlds terrestrials that aren't pet holes?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So right now I have a few Brachys, a Genic, and a pokie. My regalis is the only old world t in my collection right now but I'm also going to get a p.metallica soon. I know pokies hide but they are also often out in the open. However, I'd like to get a terrestrial old world t. Species like haplopelma minax or h gigas catch my eye but I've found that they are pet holes. I'd like a t that I get to see often. Any old world terrestrials that arent pet holes?
Why does it have to be an OW, if i may ask? There are hundreds of NW terrestrials that are gorgeous and almost always out and about.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Why does it have to be an OW, if i may ask? There are hundreds of NW terrestrials that are gorgeous and almost always out and about.
OW have an interesting look to them, they range to big and chunky to velvet texture and slim.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I used to think I would never want an old world tarantula. But after a couple years with my pokies and baboons I understand why people love them so much.

They have amazing color patterns and interesting Behavior.

cold blood

Staff member
Only because lots of keepers were/are pure finest 'Scrooge' with substrate and they house them somewhat like 'GBB', with more anchor points rather than substrate.

If given enough inches of substrate (like I always suggest) those two genus will burrow as well, 100% guaranteed.

@Arachne97 Good luck for your quest ah ah :-s
Yeah, but every Ceratogryus ive ever had spend all its time at the burrow mouth or chillin on top.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yeah, but every Ceratogryus ive ever had spend all its time at the burrow mouth or chillin on top.
My darlingi stays hidden deep underground

My marshalli switches between staying at the bottom and living above ground for months at a time.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
But one moment... why the "hate" or dislike for pet holes, that sometimes jumps out? IMO they are of best. At night you can see them out often, including 'Haplos'. I've owned Asian OW OB in the past (not anymore now, mostly 'Baboons') and often they were out of their burrow at night... they were secure, safe. Masters of their world. To burrow, it's only nature, how they live.

If someone doesn't want to see lot of "dirt" and wants a display Theraphosidae there's plenty of (IMO great) A.geniculata.
I avoided "pet holes" for a long time. But I finally got an H. gigas, and it's really cool. Once it's in premolt (like right now) I don't see it, but a Brachypelma in premolt for months is not really the most interesting thing either. Also, the burrows they make can be very cool in their own right.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
OOPS I TOTALLY MISREAD THIS AS NEW WORLD NOT OLD WORLD, disregard this. I only have one OW so far and it's a tiny OBT sling that's dug itself in a burrow, yup (although the burrow is against the side of the sling cup so I can see the OBT just fine...)

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
May be a bit odd but when I had my C. lividus (lividum now? I may have that backwards ) she would come out alot and chill. There was days I wouldn't see her but she liked to be out and about, webbing up her enclosure (especially near her burrow). Saddly I went to feed her crickets (please don't kill me... It's all I could get at the time) and I guess I didn't crush ones head enough because it ate her.... I didn't know it but she was in premolt... I cried... Alot...

And another seemingly odd terrestrial specie's I had that did the same thing was my H. gigas. He liked to hang out of his burrow alot it was about a 50/40/10 split with him, out in the open/burrow/pool. He died of natural causes (old age). Sadly I never got to breed him...

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I'm so sorry... I did not mean to revive a dead thread... That I had already posted on XD. I logged on and this was in my alerts.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My P chordatus is a strange creature. I have given it a deep substrate, but it refuse to dig!, but i dont mind!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My P.muticus is out since her last moult, for which I'm thrilled and relieved and excited because I am seeing a clear difference in front and backlegs which means it's really a Queenie. :happy:
It does however make feeding/maintenance and watering more....interesting because this Queenie doesn't take lightly my invasion of her kingdom :rofl:
I don't mind, she's just so damn pretty!

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
All 3 of my H pulchripes are always out. I think 2 of them don't even have a burrow.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
OW have an interesting look to them, they range to big and chunky to velvet texture and slim.
As opposed to what?

Most tarantulas have an incredibly interesting look

Behold some of the most beautiful Ts you can have (IMO)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
As opposed to what?

Most tarantulas have an incredibly interesting look

Behold some of the most beautiful Ts you can have (IMO)
They're gorgeous but if I so much as look into the enclosure of the first one I'll break out in hyves and sneezes :hurting:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
But one moment... why the "hate" or dislike for pet holes, that sometimes jumps out? IMO they are of best. At night you can see them out often, including 'Haplos'. I've owned Asian OW OB in the past (not anymore now, mostly 'Baboons') and often they were out of their burrow at night... they were secure, safe. Masters of their world. To burrow, it's only nature, how they live.

If someone doesn't want to see lot of "dirt" and wants a display Theraphosidae there's plenty of (IMO great) A.geniculata.
Not really a hate at all but a preference for a visible spider is pretty normal, pet holes take up a lot of space and aren't visible much so the appeal is different.