Any New Additions?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Crossed another species off my wishlist. Just added 0.0.3 Avicularia variegata slings to the collection, as well as an additional 0.0.1 Psalmopoeus pulcher as a freebie sling. First time unpacking slings from moss, and I must admit I'm not a fan at all of that shipping method. You get very little control of the situation as you can't remove the spider in the paper towel tube and then work them out of it slowly, but have to pick the moss out until you expose the spider and then try to prod it out of the sling vial. The avics weren't an issue, but the psalmo bolted out and was almost on my hand before I could blink.

20210527_101122.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Hmm, I can't edit my original post, but after some research here, I believe I may have a juruensis. 🤔 😊

Confirmed! The seller contacted the breeder for confirmation and admitted he had gotten mixed up while using common names. I think he is wanting me to return it. No way. 😁
So if it is the Avicularia juruensis the current name is Avicularia M2 if I’m not mistaken. The ‘M’ stands for morphtype.
So, I just want to provide a little clarification for posterity here as the species wasn't specified when you stated M2. A. juruensis retained its species status during the revision. Avicularia juruensis is still valid and it has its own morphotypes as well (including sp Peru Purple which is M2). Avicularia avicularia M2 is ex Avicularia braunshauseni. I'm just starting to get into Avics myself, and the revision continues to throw me through loops.

@viper69, do I have this correct?

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-morphotype-identification.337729/

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Crossed another species off my wishlist. Just added 0.0.3 Avicularia variegata slings to the collection, as well as an additional 0.0.1 Psalmopoeus pulcher as a freebie sling. First time unpacking slings from moss, and I must admit I'm not a fan at all of that shipping method. You get very little control of the situation as you can't remove the spider in the paper towel tube and then work them out of it slowly, but have to pick the moss out until you expose the spider and then try to prod it out of the sling vial. The avics weren't an issue, but the psalmo bolted out and was almost on my hand before I could blink.

View attachment 386245
Most excellent! I’ve seen a video where moss was used for packing and not a fan of it either. Good to hear thoughts from someone first hand.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
So, I just want to provide a little clarification for posterity here as the species wasn't specified when you stated M2. A. juruensis retained its species status during the revision. Avicularia juruensis is still valid and it has its own morphotypes as well (including sp Peru Purple which is M2). Avicularia avicularia M2 is ex Avicularia braunshauseni. I'm just starting to get into Avics myself, and the revision continues to throw me through loops.
The local mom and pop uses common names (which I'm urging them to stop due to this exact issue) and he confirmed with the breeder that it is a puru purple. That was when I asked him if there was a chance this is a juruensis. So, avicularia juruensis m2 is correct? Why have they made avics so confusing? 🤔 Thanks for the link, I found it a few days back, but it's worth another read considering I retained no info from it 😁

Craig73

Arachnoangel

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-morphotype-identification.337729/
Thanks! Super helpful link, cause it is a bit confusing when I use Google to gather info and following changes.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +

View attachment 386245
Moss sounds horrible to work with. Cute little one, though! I love avics AND their confusing classifications lol

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
The local mom and pop uses common names (which I'm urging them to stop due to this exact issue) and he confirmed with the breeder that it is a puru purple. That was when I asked him if there was a chance this is a juruensis. So, avicularia juruensis m2 is correct? Why have they made avics so confusing? 🤔 Thanks for the link, I found it a few days back, but it's worth another read considering I retained no info from it 😁
It's a problem that was started long ago apparently. When some of these former species were originally described (like A. braunshauseni), type specimens weren't preserved and sent to museums. So, in addition to not having any confirmed, preserved specimens for comparison and study specimen confirmation, the described distinguishing characteristics for these former species weren't enough for full species classification at the time of the revision. That's not to say that they won't have full species status again some day, but for now science recognizes them as morphotypes of other defined species and we as hobbyists need to be diligent about preserving the purity of the captive genetic pool for that future. The revision can really make that challenging though :meh: ....

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Most excellent! I’ve seen a video where moss was used for packing and not a fan of it either. Good to hear thoughts from someone first hand.
Moss sounds horrible to work with. Cute little one, though! I love avics AND their confusing classifications lol
Yeah, I really hope I don't have to unpack moss again. I couldn't imagine unpacking a S. calceatum or H. maculata sling from moss, that just sounds like a nightmare scenario. I purchased the A. variegata slings from a very large distributor that I've ordered from a few times in the past too and this was the first time I got moss instead of paper towels. I'll let them know I'm not a fan of it on the after purchase survey, hope something comes out of it. I'd even consider paying a bit more for paper towel shipping for some of the bolty species or those with more medically significant venom.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
... First time unpacking slings from moss, and I must admit I'm not a fan at all of that shipping method. You get very little control of the situation as you can't remove the spider in the paper towel tube and then work them out of it slowly, but have to pick the moss out until you expose the spider and then try to prod it out...
I just had exactly the same experience with my new spiderlings yesterday. Not a fan of the moss for shipping.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
It's a problem that was started long ago apparently. When some of these former species were originally described (like A. braunshauseni), type specimens weren't preserved and sent to museums. So, in addition to not having any confirmed, preserved specimens for comparison and study specimen confirmation, the described distinguishing characteristics for these former species weren't enough for full species classification at the time of the revision. That's not to say that they won't have full species status again some day, but for now science recognizes them as morphotypes of other defined species and we as hobbyists need to be diligent about preserving the purity of the captive genetic pool for that future. The revision can really make that challenging though :meh: ....
I thought braunshauseni was still a sp, is Avic m2 still the largest avicularinae?

My tip with the moss is to try and pull one of the pieces of moss that's under the spider and hope they latch onto it, although the idea of them running up the tongs makes me anxious.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I thought braunshauseni was still a sp, is Avic m2 still the largest avicularinae?

My tip with the moss is to try and pull one of the pieces of moss that's under the spider and hope they latch onto it, although the idea of them running up the tongs makes me anxious.
From my research and understanding, Avic avic M2 (ex A. braunshauseni) and A. variegata are consistently the largest Aviculariinae, but I'm by no means an Avic expert.

As for the moss, I think I would have managed fine if they had used one or two large pieces as I could've pulled them out just like a paper towel tube. The problem was it was shredded, so there was no single piece big enough to use to pull the spider out.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Unplanned, but at the insistence of my daughter, one Trichonephila inaurata madagascariensis is moving in / on here next week! Let's see how it works with "free care"!
I'm curious!
PXL_20210528_065750575.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I thought it might be good to try, but I guess I'll stick with paper towels.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Unplanned, but at the insistence of my daughter, one Trichonephila inaurata madagascariensis is moving in / on here next week! Let's see how it works with "free care"!
I'm curious!
View attachment 386342
Do you have anyway to temporarily enclose it? I've done a little bit of research on keeping free roam Nephila as I would like to try it one day. Some people suggest enclosing them until they build their web, otherwise if they don't like your setup, they'll try and find an area that is better suited for them. Very, very cool nonetheless.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Very likely adding a approx 3in Grammastola pulchra today or Monday. Will be my LOL first ever Grammastola but it’s was listed at just sooooooo cheap, that even though I wasn’t looking for a little Grammy tank, I’m not sure I can really pass this opportunity up.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Do you have anyway to temporarily enclose it? I've done a little bit of research on keeping free roam Nephila as I would like to try it one day. Some people suggest enclosing them until they build their web, otherwise if they don't like your setup, they'll try and find an area that is better suited for them. Very, very cool nonetheless.
Thanks for the information. North side window. If the spider is not good for that, I will have to convince it 😂

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
I got an OBT at an expo today. $40. The seller made it sound like it was the size of a truck tire but it's about 1 1/4". If I'm generous.
It's very cute though and I had no trouble rehousing it.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I really have good friends.
Gifts of the weekend.

Avicularia juruensis Morphotype 1 (Formerly Avicularia sp. "Pucallpa")
_MG_1922.JPG

Augacephalus breyeri
_MG_1923.JPG

Aphonopelma sp.
"Diamondback"
_MG_1927.JPG

Pamphobeteus sp. "Mascara"
_MG_1921.JPG

Hapalopus sp. "Colombia Groß"
_MG_1919.JPG