Any Los Angeles Tarantula owners?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not even close, there are tons in the greater LA area. One of the more well known breeders/dealers is not far from LA too.
Paul Becker u mean. I've visited his facilities and he's a great guy!!
I'm in ca but the Bay Area.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you go to any of the LA area Reptile Conventions, you'll find plenty of tarantula fans/keepers/breeders that live in and around the Los Angeles area. They just had one at Fairplex last week, but there's one coming up on November 12th-13th at the OC Fair and Event Center and another on January 7th-8th in Pomona at Fairplex. I'm not in LA but I'm relatively close (Inland Empire).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you go to any of the LA area Reptile Conventions, you'll find plenty of tarantula fans/keepers/breeders that live in and around the Los Angeles area. They just had one at Fairplex last week, but there's one coming up on November 12th-13th at the OC Fair and Event Center and another on January 7th-8th in Pomona at Fairplex. I'm not in LA but I'm relatively close (Inland Empire).
The OC Fair is OK, better than nothing. The others are much better, including Pomona. I've been fortunate enough to be out there when they were occurring visiting family.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The OC Fair is OK, better than nothing. The others are much better, including Pomona. I've been fortunate enough to be out there when they were occurring visiting family.
My personal favorite (so far!) is the Bug Fair at the Los Angeles Natural History Museum. Last year it was May 21-22 and I imagine it will be toward the end of May again next year as well. I haven't been to the Riverside Bug Fair yet (last spring it conflicted with a presentation I was giving on South American tarantulas at a Geography Day event at my local public library) but I've heard that it's also really good.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My personal favorite (so far!) is the Bug Fair at the Los Angeles Natural History Museum. Last year it was May 21-22 and I imagine it will be toward the end of May again next year as well. I haven't been to the Riverside Bug Fair yet (last spring it conflicted with a presentation I was giving on South American tarantulas at a Geography Day event at my local public library) but I've heard that it's also really good.
The only time I was in town that coincided w/the Bug Fair I didn't know it was going on hah. It wasn't advertised as well as the herp shows :D

When you talk to herp show attendees be they vendors or non-vendors, the opinions vary widely. I had a guy who has been to the Sac show, the Tinley show and the Daytona show tell me the Sac show was the best of all 3.

Now maybe that's because he was a vendor and sold the most stuff, I didn't get a chance to ask.

From my perspective for these shows, MORE is BETTER, so the bigger the show the better.

Some day I'll make it Germany for their exotic shows. The largest in the world.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only time I was in town that coincided w/the Bug Fair I didn't know it was going on hah. It wasn't advertised as well as the herp shows :D

When you talk to herp show attendees be they vendors or non-vendors, the opinions vary widely. I had a guy who has been to the Sac show, the Tinley show and the Daytona show tell me the Sac show was the best of all 3.

Now maybe that's because he was a vendor and sold the most stuff, I didn't get a chance to ask.

From my perspective for these shows, MORE is BETTER, so the bigger the show the better.

The thing I like about Bug Fair is that it's just bugs and spiders and there are a lot of things you don't see at the herp shows, like oodles of pinned specimens, entomophagy demonstrations and samples, authors promoting/signing bug-related books, educational displays, and a greater variety of live insects available for purchase, including beetle larvae, caterpillars, and butterfly/moth pupae.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The thing I like about Bug Fair is that it's just bugs and spiders and there are a lot of things you don't see at the herp shows, like oodles of pinned specimens, entomophagy demonstrations and samples, authors promoting/signing bug-related books, educational displays, and a greater variety of live insects available for purchase, including beetle larvae, caterpillars, and butterfly/moth pupae.
I figured, if it's not a true spider or an arachnid, I won't own it (mantids excepted). I'm a herp person first, the Ts came decades later me owning herps.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Not to mention their captive breeding of T's is leading the way now.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The way AB quotes posts, it shrinks the box so that it doesn't show everything. I bolded this:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The way AB quotes posts, it shrinks the box so that it doesn't show everything. I bolded this:

Yes they are. I've seen some animals out of Germany, that I've never seen anywhere else. Gee I wonder how THAT happens.....:rolleyes:

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
:jimlad:
Mah, probably there's a lot between Vespucci and Vinewood :-s
Venice beach is interesting to say the least. Although I wouldn't go in the waters. As for hollyweird the same can be said. I once saw a man on Hollywood Blvd come out of a building in ripped/tattered clothes holding a microwave over his head... Only to smash it in the streets and let out an extravagant war cry. I am not even sure how that happened or where he got the microwave. :jimlad: