Any Idea Which Wolfie it is??

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Found this Wolfie in Atoka County, Oklahoma.

From Head to end of Abdomen it is 1.25" (3.17cm)

and one more shot

Last edited:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Rabidosa rabida

is what this looks like to me. Maybe one of the more experienced members will know exactly what it is, but I'm pretty sure... Rabid Wolf spider. That is a beautiful spider, btw! :) S.

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks!

Wonderful...so my guess was the same as the general consensus here...lol now I need to find a mate for my lil friend! If anyone is in an area with some good sized, good looking males drop me a line! Thanks again for helping confirm my thoughts...

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
she may drop an egg sac or two in the very near future. it's that time of year.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree the Loxo, from the look of the abdomen I am guessing you wont need a male at all. They are still popping out eggsacs like crazy down here in Texas.

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fingers Crossed

But even if I do get a sac, I would like to get a male from a differ. locality for next season breeding

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pop goes the Wolfie!

she may drop an egg sac or two in the very near future. it's that time of year.
Well Looks Like Loxo was right!

Here is the what I found when I got home from errands today:

More pics to follow when she is more complete...

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Incubation time?

*Update*
Got home from class and she was all done with the sac and is hiding out with it so I cant get a good angle on it for pics yet...but it is a blue & white marbled sac about 3/8"
Does anyone have any figures (even rough) on how long it is going to be until I have mini wolves clinging to moms back? I have been reading all day and there is no mention of time till hatch that I can find.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
*Update*
Got home from class and she was all done with the sac and is hiding out with it so I cant get a good angle on it for pics yet...but it is a blue & white marbled sac about 3/8"
Does anyone have any figures (even rough) on how long it is going to be until I have mini wolves clinging to moms back? I have been reading all day and there is no mention of time till hatch that I can find.
Kaston (1980, pg 322) says females in Connecticut, "... with egg sacs have been found from mid-August to mid-September, and females with young up to late October." So, you're probably looking at 3-4 weeks or so for them to hatch. Sacs Kaston opened contained anywhere from 168 to 365 eggs.

You might want to read this paper, if you can find a copy (I haven't read it):
Higashi, G.A. & J.S. Rovner. 1975. Post-emergent behavior of juvenile lycosid spiders. Bull. British Arachnol. Soc., 3: 113-119.

Jerry Rovner is a leading authority on this species. Brady (1994) says that Rovner "... has probably observed more intently and recorded for a longer period the behavior of R. rabidosa than any other single investigator ..." So, any of Rovner's papers would be worth reading.

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks jsloan

Many Thanks JSloan! I am being very good about keep very tight records of everything.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Be sure and post pics of the mother and her brood after they emerge from the egg sac. I'd like to see how she packs that many babies onto her back! :)

Vespula

Arachnodemon
:DIt's a great species! I hope she has many babies for you! Mine layed a sac in early July, but it hasn't hatched yet, and may not. but that's ok because I'm trying to find her a male next year. Good luck with your baby wolfies!

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vespula if you happen across someone that has some males avail. keep me in mind and let me know....I would like to have a male for next season...