Any care on H paucidens?

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
How would it be cared for? Could a 3 gallon enclosure do for its whole life? (12x8x6 enclosure)? Molting?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
How would it be cared for? Could a 3 gallon enclosure do for its whole life? (12x8x6 enclosure)? Molting?
Tropical species, slightly moistened substrate, temps 75°-85° night/day, provide cork slab and a water dish. Mine eat crickets and lateralis roaches of appropriate size. I have adults and scorplings and they will fast occasionally. No worries as long as they are not very thin.

I wouldn't put a scorpling in a 3 gallon tank. Would be OK for a juvenile, adult might settle for that size too. My female at 5.5" is in an enclosure slightly larger with 4" of topsoil and not burrowed. Content hanging on or under the cork most of the time.

I've not had any molt problems with mine to date. Keeping the substrate slightly moist and a full water dish avoids molt problems with tropical species. IME/IMO

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
That's good. Well my enclosures aren't heated with the vinegaroon and its doing fine. I was planning for it to be the juvenile/adult cage. Are they active? How long do they live?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I just keep mine dry with a big, shallow dish always full. Never had a problem, seems to be keeping a good girth :D They are pretty slow growing for the most part and are not very active per say. Mine likes to sit on top of it's hide every once and a while. They also get HUGE, one of the longest in the world. As long as you give them a nice slate hide, they should be good from there :)

Pipa

Arachnoknight
I didn't think this species was tropical. I would love a reliable confirmation. :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Well, at the very least it isn't an emperor. That's all I can really say for tropical vs. desert classification :)

The Toecutter

Arachnopeon
All of my books on scorps says that H.paucidens are found in arid, savanna, sandy rocky soil...they live in rocky outcroppings, amidst the cracks, and crevices....thus the name flat rock scorpion.
Tropical? Ummmmmmmmmmm
I have four of them currently 2i.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Sorry!! :(
Others are correct, dry species, was thinking Heterometrus species (tropical,moist). Duh! Brainfart!
Photo of #4 H. paucidens in its home. Sand and soil mixture with some river gravel, water dish and a cork piece. Its just 1.5" and usually out in the open. I have 5 this size and a 5.5" female kept similarly.
Age range from what I've read on various sites is anywhere from 8-15 years, depending which one is correct. They are a slow growing species for sure.

Attachments