Any cactus growers here?

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I'm thinking of a friend of mine who worked at Huntington Gardens. Had one cacti he spent 30 years bringing it to maturity. Another cacti he spent over 10 years monitoring to get a photo of it on the one night that it bloomed.
Thank goodness I didn't raise it from seed. That probably would've been way worse. My sister gave it to me as a birthday present so that's bad but at least it was a more recent present.

The words of the Emperor come to mind: "And you my young Jedi/squirrel, you will not survive!"
One of my friends was making pretty good money shooting squirrels for $5 a tail before, lol. There's a lot of squirrels here.

Last edited:

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
I grow some cacti. I currently have ten varieties of dragon fruit (Hylocerus sp.) including the yellow dragon fruit (H. megalanthus). I also have an Echinocactus. I want to eventually add Cereus peruviana, but I need a lot more greenhouse space for that.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I grow cactus, my speciality are Gymnocalycium Mihanovichii. I have various variegated specimens from around the World, some grown from seed by my own stock, and I grow those colorful grafted cacti which are actually the same species I mentioned above. I do have a few Astrophytum too.

Garden stores that sell cacti cheap like Lowe’s and Home Depot are great, cheap purchases. I like to nurse sick/neglected cacti back to health.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a huge intrests in cactus when i was younger. Had loads of them and cultivated them. I planted lots of seed and was successful. Had a Gymnocalycium sp thst i had for 25 years from seed. Now i have a Selenicereus grandiflorus that i have had for 25 years. It has flowered and everything! Cactus are great!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just ordered peniocereus greggii, one plant and some seeds, looked kinda cool imo. N.A native and should be cold hardy.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I had a huge intrests in cactus when i was younger. Had loads of them and cultivated them. I planted lots of seed and was successful. Had a Gymnocalycium sp thst i had for 25 years from seed. Now i have a Selenicereus grandiflorus that i have had for 25 years. It has flowered and everything! Cactus are great!
Better picture
This plant looks very spooky, I love it!

Last edited:

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I found this mystery three-headed cactus on the side of the road when it was about 1/3 of its size. I potted it, and I've just left it outside for the most part. It's the first time I'd seen a cactus bloom.
Pay no attention to the dead Sansevieria...:(

Attachments

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I found this mystery three-headed cactus on the side of the road when it was about 1/3 of its size. I potted it, and I've just left it outside for the most part. It's the first time I'd seen a cactus bloom.
Pay no attention to the dead Sansevieria...:(
I got curious about that cactus, you think this might be it? Info says they are from Mex though. But there looks to be several varieties, or maybe seeds got loose. https://worldofsucculents.com/mammillaria-geminispina-twin-spined-cactus/