Any bat keepers?

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
Just curious if anyone keeps bats? If you do, lets see some pics of the animals, and the enclosures.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know if it's easy (or possible) to keep them in captivity . . . I know a lot of places have bat-boxes, though. :D (Think: birdhouse for bats.)

They're fun, though. I like walking around at twilight during summer evenings and watching them flit around catching gnats and stuff.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I remember seeing a show on Discovery Channel some time ago about a lady who had a shed full of them, the enclosures looked to be made from wire mesh and some were in what looked like reptariums. Most of them were rescues who couldn't make it on their own, but she talked about some of them as if they were pets . I think it was on Dirty Jobs, but I'm not 100% sure.

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know a whole lot about keeping bats as pets, but I do help out with a few at the museum.

Currently we have a Big Brown Bat, Silver Bat and a Red Bat.

I only have pics of the brown and red:

Here is the Big Brown Bat (hardly big, but it's common name nonetheless)

And the Red Bat, who just gave birth to 3 babes yesterday morning.

The enclosures are fairly small with a soft cloth and a piece of bark, water in a dish. The Red and Brown bats eat on the fly, so we had to 'teach' them to eat while resting. The Brown bat is now being flown every day and is now able to be handled without biting. (We waited 6 months before holding him, just to make sure he showed no signs of rabies.) The Silver Bat will eat on the ground, but we've been unsuccessful on getting any flight out of her. The Red Bat came in less than a week ago, so we have just been feeding and letting her get used to us slowly.

We have been feeding them a diet mainly of mealworms, but have begun introducing new insects into their diets, namely crickets for now.

I know nothing of the 'proper' care of bats, I only know what I have been shown. Our bats seem healthy and happy... so that must mean something!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
when i worked at this exotic petshop years ago they had egyptian fruitbats,very cool and vocal too,and they bred very well,they were fun to work with,but all the customers would say WOW bats! what do they eat?where do they come from?:wall: we had a big sign on the enclosure saying what they were:? they all went to a zoo,they were just for display for awhile.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i dont know, but i was told i had bats in my belfrey one time... not sure what that means, do you? No i dont why did you ask me ? Who are you ? I am you didnt you know that ? Yes we are all you !!! BWAHHAHAHAHA
ummm
can someone please recomend a good physco A trist

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this petstore here on the island has a species of fruit bat as the owner's personal pet...i'm positive it's being kept incorrectly, though. that place doesn't have the best track record when it comes to exotics care; my (now deceased) STO didn't have a chunk of her ear missing for nothing.

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those bats are so CUTE!!! :D

I had a friend in high school who tried rehabilitating baby bats on several occasions when they fell out of roosts near her home . . . they never survived, but I got to hold one while it crawled across my hand and made the most adorable little squeaky sounds.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I remember seeing a show on Discovery Channel some time ago about a lady who had a shed full of them, the enclosures looked to be made from wire mesh and some were in what looked like reptariums. Most of them were rescues who couldn't make it on their own, but she talked about some of them as if they were pets . I think it was on Dirty Jobs, but I'm not 100% sure.
I saw a similar show but with a single bat that she rescued. Maybe she ended up getting more I don't remember. But I do remember she created some bat boxes that connected form her attic to the outside window so they would fly out at night and return home.

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've never raised bats but i think they are awsome, one of my fav mamals! I had the plesure of catching one when i was on a trip to Canada/Minniesoda about 2 weeks ago, they are really cool amazing animals! I would love to have one as a pet, so if u do end up getting one let me know how that goes :D

Last edited:

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am pretty sure you cant keep them as pets.. they have laws on them. if someone keeps them they would have to have a permit.

Marcel_h

Arachnopeon
I don't know a whole lot about keeping bats as pets, but I do help out with a few at the museum.

Currently we have a Big Brown Bat, Silver Bat and a Red Bat.

The enclosures are fairly small with a soft cloth and a piece of bark, water in a dish. The Red and Brown bats eat on the fly, so we had to 'teach' them to eat while resting. The Brown bat is now being flown every day and is now able to be handled without biting. (We waited 6 months before holding him, just to make sure he showed no signs of rabies.) The Silver Bat will eat on the ground, but we've been unsuccessful on getting any flight out of her. The Red Bat came in less than a week ago, so we have just been feeding and letting her get used to us slowly.

We have been feeding them a diet mainly of mealworms, but have begun introducing new insects into their diets, namely crickets for now.

I know nothing of the 'proper' care of bats, I only know what I have been shown. Our bats seem healthy and happy... so that must mean something!
Could you tell something about you get them to mealworms? Would it be possible to post an picture of the complete cage?

I kept some egyptian fruitbats in the past there not to hard to keep. I had them in an indoor aviary i fed them fresh fruit and an special formula for bats we can buy here.

tkn0spdr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A few petshops in my area also sell the Egyptian Fruitbats. They are really neat and I would love to have one, but at $1500 a pop I don't think it'll be anytime soon.
Also, my wife is ready to kill me because of the GTP I just brought home.

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure you're just not supposed to keep the native U.S species because they are all endangered or threatened. Some of those tropical ones like egyptian fruit bats and straw colored fruit bats are fairly common, its just finding them legit thats a toughy. Plus I'm not really feeling the $1500 price tag, maybe $500, but 4 digit stuff to me= macaw, sloth, and/or kinkajou price. Then again, bats are pretty hard to find, so...

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
indeed

i have always admired bats and wanted one as a pet i think there are rabbies laws,although i dont fully understand how bats get rabbies

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What

WHAT endangerd seriusly my yard swarms with them at dusk and all through the night..i see like tons all the time

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have always admired bats and wanted one as a pet i think there are rabbies laws,although i dont fully understand how bats get rabbies
Info on rabies in bats

WHAT endangerd seriusly my yard swarms with them at dusk and all through the night..i see like tons all the time
Six species of bats in the US are listed as endangered.

Biggest problem with keeping bats (insectovores, anyway) as pets would have to be the amount of space and food they'd need.

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for the link hey why dont couldnt u just tame them and let them run free at night thats how my bird is i found him as a baby in the barn a raised him ,, i leave him outside all the time and he always comes back though i dont know how smart bats are theyed have to be descently smart considering their mammals