Ants/Spiders

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I'm born and raised in Queens, NY but am spending my first summer in my new residence in the Poconos. There are trees all around my home and all sorts of bugs/spiders.

Since its gotten warm I've noticed just a couple of big black ants. Including 1 in my spider room.

My questions are...what is the best way to super safely protect my T's from Ants? I keep them all on a bookshelf and only the 1 kritter keeper would be in danger as these ants are large. I read cinnamon is great, how do I go about using it? Would some sprinkling around the KK be safe for the T and effective for the ants?

Also every night I find a lot of eastern parsons spiders in my home. Would they be a threat and if so, what to do about them?

Thanks in advance.

-P

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
For the ants, I've found that Vaseline works best. Simply put it around the rim (on the outside) of your tarantula enclosures. This creates a barrier that ants simply can't get through. Be sure to replace it every so often - over time, dust will reduce how well it works.

As for loose spiders, I wouldn't worry unless one sets up shop inside one of your enclosures.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
For the ants, I've found that Vaseline works best. Simply put it around the rim (on the outside) of your tarantula enclosures. This creates a barrier that ants simply can't get through. Be sure to replace it every so often - over time, dust will reduce how well it works.

As for loose spiders, I wouldn't worry unless one sets up shop inside one of your enclosures.
Thanks bud! All my slings/Juvies are in AMACs of different sizes. The ants I've seen can't get in through those tiny holes.

So just smearing it neatluy around the bottom radius of the KK should do the trick im assuming. I'll leave the others be. If I'm wrong correct me. Ofcourse this is just precautionary.

If a tiny bit of Vaseline were to make it into the enclosure by accident ofcourse....that wouldn't cause a problem, correct? Its arachnid safe?

Thank you!!!

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Kill them with fire?

If you can't do that get the granules you spread around. The kind I use comes in a bag of sorts that you can shake out the stuff. Cover every inch around your foundation and then another around the perimeter of your yard. Hit any mounds you see. I have thatcher ants where I live (in the woods) and they are <edit>. They bite hard and make it impossible to be outside. The granules wipe out all the ants we have.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read cinnamon is great, how do I go about using it?
I wouldn't say great at all. I've used it. Ants are can overcome virtually all of the natural remedies you find on the net.

Would some sprinkling around the KK be safe for the T and effective for the ants?
Sure-- the spice disrupts their chemoreceptors a bit, this shouldn't affect Ts, esp because they wouldn't come in contact with it.

You see 1 ant- that's a scout. Guarantee there are others, you need to erase their chemotrail, otherwise more are coming. If they find a water or food source ants will be in there like an army.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I wouldn't say great at all. I've used it. Ants are can overcome virtually all of the natural remedies you find on the net.

Sure-- the spice disrupts their chemoreceptors a bit, this shouldn't affect Ts, esp because they wouldn't come in contact with it.

You see 1 ant- that's a scout. Guarantee there are others, you need to erase their chemotrail, otherwise more are coming. If they find a water or food source ants will be in there like an army.
Ok, so what do you recommend I do? Like I said only thing I'm trying to keep safe is my 1 KK with large enough vents.

Do the Vaseline trick?

I just want a quick solution so I can go about helping other folk here again! Haha

Gone are my days of asking question after question 🤐 lmao!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So just smearing it neatluy around the bottom radius of the KK should do the trick im assuming. I'll leave the others be. If I'm wrong correct me. Ofcourse this is just precautionary.

If a tiny bit of Vaseline were to make it into the enclosure by accident ofcourse....that wouldn't cause a problem, correct? Its arachnid safe?
Yeah, around the bottom works just fine. I'm familiar with the Amac boxes you're talking about. If you want to make it easy with those, put all of them on a cookie sheet or cutting board, then simply make a perimeter of Vaseline on the sheet/board around the boxes. Kind of like a salt circle for ghosts, you know?

I've never heard of an issue with Vaseline with tarantulas. Just make sure you get the unscented stuff - no aloe, peppermint, or anything else. Just plain old petrolium jelly, doesn't even need to be brand name. Should cost a few dollars for a tub that will last you years.

And as a side, ants are absolutely something that should concern all T owners. Tarantulas have absolutely no way to defend themselves against ants, and I've read some horror stories about ants swarming a tarantula collection and decimating it. Remember, not all carnivorous ants are red. So unless you can specifically identify the species of ant you're dealing with, it is safest to assume they're out looking for fresh meat.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Yeah, around the bottom works just fine. I'm familiar with the Amac boxes you're talking about. If you want to make it easy with those, put all of them on a cookie sheet or cutting board, then simply make a perimeter of Vaseline on the sheet/board around the boxes. Kind of like a salt circle for ghosts, you know?

I've never heard of an issue with Vaseline with tarantulas. Just make sure you get the unscented stuff - no aloe, peppermint, or anything else. Just plain old petrolium jelly, doesn't even need to be brand name. Should cost a few dollars for a tub that will last you years.

And as a side, ants are absolutely something that should concern all T owners. Tarantulas have absolutely no way to defend themselves against ants, and I've read some horror stories about ants swarming a tarantula collection and decimating it. Remember, not all carnivorous ants are red. So unless you can specifically identify the species of ant you're dealing with, it is safest to assume they're out looking for fresh meat.
Got ya! All I've seen is big Ants so far...so unless I see smaller ones...I'll leave the amac boxes be for the time being (super small holes).

Thanks! Appreciate the recommendations + future recommendations should i ever god forbid need them!

Enjoy the rest of your wknd!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Got ya! All I've seen is big Ants so far...so unless I see smaller ones...I'll leave the amac boxes be for the time being (super small holes).

Thanks! Appreciate the recommendations + future recommendations should i ever god forbid need them!

Enjoy the rest of your wknd!
Can I suggest treating the small amac boxes the same as the larger enclosures? Better safe than sorry. You don't know if you've seen all the ants...

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Can I suggest treating the small amac boxes the same as the larger enclosures? Better safe than sorry. You don't know if you've seen all the ants...
I always like to err to the side of caution...so will do....only going to take an extra couple minutes and I'll be on the safe side!

Thanks for chiming in mori!!!

Will do them all tomorrow!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm born and raised in Queens, NY but am spending my first summer in my new residence in the Poconos. There are trees all around my home and all sorts of bugs/spiders.

Since its gotten warm I've noticed just a couple of big black ants. Including 1 in my spider room.

My questions are...what is the best way to super safely protect my T's from Ants? I keep them all on a bookshelf and only the 1 kritter keeper would be in danger as these ants are large. I read cinnamon is great, how do I go about using it? Would some sprinkling around the KK be safe for the T and effective for the ants?

Also every night I find a lot of eastern parsons spiders in my home. Would they be a threat and if so, what to do about them?

Thanks in advance.

-P