Ants In Terrarium

Xomb13

Arachnopeon
Hello. So I went to turn on my lights for a day cycle in my arachnid room and noticed a line of ants going into one of my Asian forest scorpions terrarium. I have no idea why. I watched them for a moment and followed their marching line. They weren't attacking my scorpion and they seemed to be interested in something inside the substrate or moss? Either way they also looked like they may have been trying to move in on my scorpion as well. Seemed like they had some sort of white eggs in their mandible.

So is this an immediate problem? I have run out of coir and moss and I have to pick up a fresh batch from my local pet store tomorrow, but if it is necessary I can put her in a deli cup for the evening.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Stop them in they're tracks!
They're moving in.
Pick them out and remove any enclosures from the area. Put out baited traps. If you can't relocate enclosures, create a barrier.

Xomb13

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the quick reply. I actually have her on the computer desk with me now. She was on a shelf with two others, but both the others are desert species and maybe their enclosures were too dry. I will be checking periodically.

Is it safe to poison them, given the proximity to the scorpions? What if i give them a bunch of Terro and my scorpions get a hold of them?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Most importantly. Keep them out of your pants. Ask the last member here about the time they got ants in their pants.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Is it safe to poison them, given the proximity to the scorpions? What if i give them a bunch of Terro and my scorpions get a hold of them?
If they can't bring it into your enclosures, yes.
Give em the bait and let em burn.
Just don't put it by your pets and be mindful of cross contamination.

Last edited:

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
Most importantly. Keep them out of your pants. Ask the last member here about the time they got ants in their pants.
yes.
The last time I had bull ants in my pants, it was not great. Or greenheaded ants for that matter!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
yes.
The last time I had bull ants in my pants, it was not great. Or greenheaded ants for that matter!
I got fire ants in my pants once. Started feeling pinching and burning sensations up my leg. Realize I had kneeled down in a nest when doing some work.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello. So I went to turn on my lights for a day cycle in my arachnid room and noticed a line of ants going into one of my Asian forest scorpions terrarium. I have no idea why. I watched them for a moment and followed their marching line. They weren't attacking my scorpion and they seemed to be interested in something inside the substrate or moss? Either way they also looked like they may have been trying to move in on my scorpion as well. Seemed like they had some sort of white eggs in their mandible.

So is this an immediate problem? I have run out of coir and moss and I have to pick up a fresh batch from my local pet store tomorrow, but if it is necessary I can put her in a deli cup for the evening.

Get rid of them ASAP- ants are ruthless!! I’ve battled them.

You must not only kill them, you MUST get rid of their chemo trails- see google

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Eradicate them ASAP. Use Terro liquid ant bait.
Keep the scorpion well away from your efforts.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
If you want to avoid poison, wipe their chemtrails with vinegar and surround wherever they were coming from with diatomaceous earth. This is not a poison, and is safe for all mammals, but is still dangerous to any arthropod, so keep any arthro pets well away from the diatomaceous earth, and wash your hands after using.