another thread, does anyone know were to get one of these.....

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone know were to get a Theraphosa apophysis, near atlanta, ga. This is my fav T, my friend has one and I babysit it all the time, its wonderful. I am lost on any breeders of any T in Atlanta. Any help I would be so thankful.

Hampton.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Order online. There are some very reputable dealers that will get you better deals than you would get from most pet stores. Check the Dealer Reviews on this site.

Jon

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
I think they are supposed to be terrible hair flickers. Make sure and do your research first.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They are indeed terrible hair flickers. The urticating hairs of this species (and T. blondi) can get into your skin and at the very least cause severe and prolonged itching (the kind that makes you want to dip your hands in acid or douse them in gasoline and set them on fire - not kidding). At worst, the hairs can cause local infections and create boils and welts and cause necrosis of the affected tissue. You can also get them in your eye, as Rick West can attest. Not fun.

My strong suggestion when handling, moving or dealing with T. apophysis is to at least wear gloves of some kind. Preferrably long ones in addition to some kind of protective eyewear.

bill

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like I said before, the one that ive been around with, is a juv. But it doesnt flick hair, or even raises its rump to anyone(To the best of my brains:D). I'm not sure if I am ready for it though, I think I will expand my collection first.

Atlanta Native

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hampton,
Try Randar's Reptiles on Jonesboro Rd in McDonough. The owner's name is William "Spider" Randar and he is very knowledgeable. He carries and breeds many species and can usually get what he doesn't have. By the time you pay the shipping and the cost of one T you could buy several from him. Plus you can help keep a family run business running now that they are competing with all the new chain pet stores popping up all over town. His number is 770-898-5678

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks atlanta(Dont know your real name). I also live in ATL, well on the out skirts of ATL. I live in Cobb County( A little hick town:rolleyes: ) Ill give him a call.

Atlanta Native

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I live about 10 minutes from Hampton, GA. I thought that you lived down here as well. I know where Cobb is not too far from where I work.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL, no, i just like the name hampton. and i watch the show as often as i can. :D

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been haired by both T. Blondi and T. Apophysis... I scratched until I bled lol

I got it in the webbing between my findex and middle finger both times somehow.

I was fortunate when I got it in the face that none of it settled in (I slightly opened the deli cup after they arrived for shipping and lightly blew on the male to see if he was alive... he let me know he was well by tossing a cloud up into my face)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Chris
II got it in the webbing between my findex and middle finger both times somehow.

I was fortunate when I got it in the face that none of it settled in (I slightly opened the deli cup after they arrived for shipping and lightly blew on the male to see if he was alive... he let me know he was well by tossing a cloud up into my face)
Hi Chris,
The urticatious setae in the webbing of your hand would be the exact same setae that got you in the first place. It's been known that the itch will flair back up if more setae get in to your hand, anywhere near the first area.

As for blowing on any tarantula, don't. Even the old worlders, they all hate it with a passion, it equates to poking something with a sharp stick.

Steve

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
As for blowing on any tarantula, don't. Even the old worlders, they all hate it with a passion, it equates to poking something with a sharp stick.
Yeah, if you've got to check something for signs of life, just do what I do with my centipedes... give the cup/container a GENTLE shake... this is usually enough to rouse a living specimen.