Another T dilemma

tommyno

Arachnopeon
My collection consists mostly of Asian Ts..Earth tigers… now I’m thinking to add another two females to my Cyriopagopus lineup (I got juvenile males for them) which creates potential breeding opportunities.
Or get some totally different arboreal species. I’m thinking H maculata female and S calceatum female. Would you rather go for another two females of species that you already have or just add something new ?

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Not sure what C. maculata is....has the H. mac changed to a new genus?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
With my luck I got multiple h Mac’s all were males , but you can get females of either is a tough choice .

cold blood

Staff member
If breeding is the point, dont bother with H. mac...theyre the most over bred OW on the planet...this not only makes slings nearly valuless, but also exceedingly difficult to sell...heck, theyre hard to give away for free.

S. cal is bred less, but there still isnt a strong demand, so they would only be slightly more desirable.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My collection consists mostly of Asian Ts..Earth tigers… now I’m thinking to add another two females to my Cyriopagopus lineup (I got juvenile males for them) which creates potential breeding opportunities.
Or get some totally different arboreal species. I’m thinking H maculata female and S calceatum female. Would you rather go for another two females of species that you already have or just add something new ?
Pass on those last 2 no demand

tommyno

Arachnopeon
Thank you all. It’s always very helpful to have answers from highest ranked people on the forum (others too of course). I appreciate your input. I have one more question; how is in your opinion demand for species like Cyriopagopus hainanus? I rarely see them for sale in the US, is it because demand is so low that this species is not imported ?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I would recommend avoiding breeding H. mac and S. calceatum. I love them both, but my god are they hard to unload and get rid of. I produce a sac of S. calceatum in 2021, and today, I have 20+ sub-adult females and no buyers. The only time they sold was when the males were mature. I essentially got stuck with a entire sac until adult-hood. Not really worth breeding if you're targeting sales and profit.

Cyriopagopus hainanus?
They're way too niche along with all the other Asian fossorial species. They will target people who are looking for something more elusive or rare, or people who are into Asian fossorials. But for the most part, they won't sell too easy for the common folk. Especially since they're OW tarantulas that are pet holes. But I like them a lot.

I rarely see them for sale in the US, is it because demand is so low that this species is not imported ?
People do import them and they come in here and there. It's just that males don't come by often, unless they were imported as sexed males or raised as a sling. And if you're wondering why people aren't breeding them more, it's simple. THEY HATE LOANS. I think the majority of tarantula breeders hate loans when it comes to niche species. Especially if the male is coming from a non-tarantula breeder or a normal hobbyist.

tommyno

Arachnopeon
Thank you for this answer. I'm going to listen to you and stay away from breeding H. mac and S. calceatum. I will instead focus on my niche and elusive collection of Asian fossorials :) I love them.

Speaking about breeding... I wonder which species would you consider worth breeding if you're targeting sales and profit?