another questionable id

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is a pic of a scorpion that was sold to me as Centruroides limbatus. It doesn’t seem to match up with the pics on the scorpion files. In my opinion it seems to be C. margaritatus. Any thoughts or ideas?

W. Smith

Attachments

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is another pic to help express the size of this scorpion. My original size estimation was a little overzealous. Sorry, I was a little excited about my new shipment and shocked over the size of this Centruroides. Let me assure you this was not an easy picture to take and the scorpion was not very cooperative. I believe this guy would be a little of five inches fully straightened.

W. Smith

Attachments

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's obviously a male, due to the extremely elongated caudal segments. C. margaritatus is a species which I have not known to reach size quite like that, though it is entirely possible if it was recently wild caught. It could very well be a color morph of one of the larger Centruroides scorpions as well. Any idea of it's collection locale? The seller may be able to acquire that info for you if you don't know.

adios,
edw. :D

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Male C.margaritatas...definitely.

John
];')

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the ID. I am still working on getting the information concerning collection location; however, it was sold with the common name Honduran Slender Brown. It was listed as being wild caught in March of 2003. Why would it be larger if was recently collected? Do scorpions not grow as large when they are in captivity? Also, if it is later discovered to not be C. margaritatas what other species could it be?

Thanks,

W. Smith