Another Oklahoma roadside attraction

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
big ol bull snake/gopher snake.

they are great fun...not good pets usually, but neat.
they can flatten their necks vertically and hiss like crazy, all while rattling their tails like a rattlesnake!!

and they get huge!![at around 7 feet]

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Beautiful Gopher! I almost adopted one of these not too long ago... it was surprisingly TAME! :)

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful Gopher! I almost adopted one of these not too long ago... it was surprisingly TAME! :)
would love to have a tame one..the few i tried to keep [wildcaught] were glass strikers and never calmed down.

but i have heard good stuff about captive bred individuals.
they are an impressive snake, for sure.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks

Thank you. Didnt even think about trying to keep him - family's big enough for the moment.

I'm still hoping that one of these days I'll come across a Diamondback sunning himself on the road like this guy was

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you. Didnt even think about trying to keep him - family's big enough for the moment.

I'm still hoping that one of these days I'll come across a Diamondback sunning himself on the road like this guy was
keep looking..
i do know that i have seen some very large timber rattlers at Eisenhower state park, on our border..
very impresssive .

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've got a huge TX Bullsnake that I've had for more years than I can keep up with right now, who is puppy-dog tame. I bought him for my best friend's 14-year-old son, at one of the first monthly reptile shows that used to be held in Columbia, SC(they haven't done that in about 10 years now), because his parents were going through a messy divorce and the kid was in counseling. He and his mom had to move out and live in this piece of junk rented trailer, where they couldn't have dogs, so he had to leave his Lab behind with his father. The counselor told his mom that a pet would really help him deal with the stress, and she finally relented to allow him to have a snake. He went with me to the reptile show and picked out a yearling WC Bullsnake, which he had for a few years, until his mother got involved with this real jerk of a guy who threatened to kill the snake, so he gave it back to me. Long story short, mom ditched the jerk, eventually got back together with her former husband who'd apparently gotten over his mid-life crisis, and the kid is now an officer in the US Marines and he and his wife are expecting their first child this fall. I still have the snake, who is probably over eight feet long, but I've never measured him. I just know he's longer than a king-sized bed by a good margin since I put him on the bed when I clean his cage. He has always been a very gentle snake.

pitbulllady

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bullsnakes are cool and they scare more people than rattlesnakes do. Anytime you hear about someone stumbling across a huge snake and they don't have a clue what type it was, it's more than likely a bullsnake. Once when I was a kid the neighbours mom saw a bullsnake in the garden and she ran into the house screaming saying there was a python in the garden and she showed us how big it was with her arms, and was she ever exaggerating! I was like "cool" and went running outside to see wtf and sure enough it was a large bullsnake, but no where near the size she was explaining it to be. It's funny how fear strikes exaggeration.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, this guy is about ten times as long as the line at the side of the road is thick

Anyone know how thick road markings are?