Another ID Request

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We found a small insect at work yesterday that we're trying to identify. It's in order Hemiptera, but I'm not sure if it's suborder Heteroptera or Homoptera -- leaning a little towards Homoptera. I think it's a nymph and not an adult.

Bright red body and eyes
4-segmented antennae (segments 1, 2, and 4 are the same bright red as the body, segment 3 is white)
White legs
White rostrum
Tarsi appear to be 1-segmented
Overall length is less than one millimeter
Very active

Discovered in a hazelnut orchard in the Willamette Valley in Oregon.

I can't access the photos at the moment, but here's something I whipped up in MS Paint that gives a good idea of what it looks like.

This picture conveys the proportions fairly well.

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Contact Randall Schuh of the AMNH and send him a picture. He gave a lecture in my Insect Phylogenetics class and is currently the 'king' of Hemiptera. He can also tell you why Homoptera is a bogus grouping and shouldn't be used since it is paraphyletic.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, I'll try getting a hold of him soon. Can I tell him Dr. Rayor sent me?

[Edit: realized the faculty link isn't you -- can I say one of Dr. Rayor's students sent me? :8o]
I gathered from my latest romp through Wikipedia that the systemics had been changed again, but was too lazy to remember what the "new" Homoptera was called. Until I remember it, I'll have to call it "the order formerly known as . . ." :rolleyes:

I miss the days of Hemiptera being the true bugs, Homoptera being the hoppers, and Heteroptera being a spelling mistake (to the extent of my knowledge, anyway).

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, yeah that's the lab I work in.

Tell him a Cornell Entomologist told you to email him for the ID, I don't think he'll mind, he was a really nice guy. He might remember lecturing to the class but he probably has no idea who I am.