Another first timer... (G. rosea)

Mavjet

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I'm another first timer and like Raine who posted her GREAT story earlier, I've always thought tarantulas fascinating and love to watch them, yet never thought I'd own one myself.

There was no issue whatsoever with my new friend adapting. She pretty much RAN out of the transport deli cup into her new home and settled right in. "She" is approx 4" (casual not stretched) leg span with a 2" body length. The reptile store said she is 6 mo. I think not. With all I've read and seen so far here, she is more likely to be 2-4 yrs (?). The Arachnoboard has been a great help over the last few weeks while I'm learning even the simple basics. I'm not certain I'm brave enough for handling, however.

I set everything up at home ahead of time before her arrival. My mistake is I possibly have selected something wonderful but too small? At least on a permanent basis. The enclosure is a 2.5 gal. I see on the boards most folks recommend a 5 or 10 gal which may prove hard for an apartment dweller like me, but after her next molt it will surely be necessary. Pic of full little set up here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1777216#post1777216

Below is a quick photo of her and any comments/suggestions from others who are more experienced is greatly appreciated! Thank you everyone for all of the shared knowledge, information and resources here, it's really been a great help! :clap:

kim

Attachments

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
2.5 gallon is fine for an enclosure, welcome to the hobby
please pick up The Tarantula's Keepers Guide and for your next tarantula I suggest brachypelma vagans. as this your G.rosea will not be your only T as these creatures are addictive.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That T is most likely WC and at LEAST 4 years old. I keep one of my rosies in a 2.5g, seems to be right for it. But I would recommend 5 or 10g. What substrate are you using?

Mavjet

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much! I've just gotten the book, Tindalos. It's a great read. Between the book and this board, I'm learning a lot.
Chris, nice site and thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have to go large in the near future.
I'm using the coconut eco earth.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd put in a couple more inches of substrate at least, but it looks good otherwise :D

Raine

Arachnopeon
Hi there Mavjet! :D
Great to see another newbie starting out with a G. Rosea. Okay...I want that book, where do I get it? Apparently all the stuff (or at least a lot of it) I'm reading online is wrong. I keep stating facts that I think are facts and well...they're not apparently. :wall:

But yeah, welcome to the site! There is a lot of information on here...I'm going to stop looking on the internet because I'm getting one thing there and another here and well...I'm going to trust people who actually own them and experienced people's books...like that one. Tarantula Keeper's Guide...is not in my pet store. I looked at the books and it isn't there. Is there somewhere on site I can read facts from it?

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had to order the tarantulas keeper guide through barne's and noble

Raine

Arachnopeon
I have a Chapters where I live so I will go look there first! :) But I keep looking at tarantula pictures...and wanting another one. Only with my arachnophobic guy, who says if I get another he will not come over anymore... :(

I like the brachypelma vagans! So pretty in color and I read they are of a more docile temperament for a T. Drat it. This forum will be trouble for me. Darn addictive spiders. Who knew? :eek:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a Chapters where I live so I will go look there first! :) But I keep looking at tarantula pictures...and wanting another one. Only with my arachnophobic guy, who says if I get another he will not come over anymore... :(

I like the brachypelma vagans! So pretty in color and I read they are of a more docile temperament for a T. Drat it. This forum will be trouble for me. Darn addictive spiders. Who knew? :eek:
Tell him if he dont come over.. Someone else will.. :rolleyes:

Raine

Arachnopeon
Ha ha, but I do like him! So I wouldn't want someone else to come over, but that is TOO funny. Really he doesn't like spiders at all. I was surprised at his grudging acceptance of Char but I may wait a while so I don't push my luck. I could probably ease him into the idea--especially if they stay in my room and not go to his place! I mean they're in nice little tanks and so colorful, and I could make sure to get the more docile species with nice colors so that he might get some enjoyment out of looking at them and see how lovely they really are. I am plotting now. {D

Mavjet

Arachnopeon
I'm going to trust people who actually own them and experienced people's books...like that one. Tarantula Keeper's Guide...is not in my pet store. I looked at the books and it isn't there. Is there somewhere on site I can read facts from it?
I'm with you, Raine. Trust the experienced people. The internet is a wealth of info, but not knowing anything, I'm not able to filter out the weirdness and inaccurate 'facts'. It's frustrating and very confusing. So I'm staying here reading and learning. I got the book from Amazon. I lucked out and got a used one for cheap. Looks new to me, not a mark, tear or fold. It's a fabulous resource and lot of pictures to really see some remarkable specimens. You can check out bits of it here: http://books.google.com/books?id=rI...m=5&sqi=2&ved=0CC0Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Problem being having to wait for it when you order online. Call around to local bookstores first or local petshops just in case, so you can have it NOW. :D
Welcome to you too! I'm fascinated.

MadTitan

Arachnopeon
Coincidentally, I was also told my first tarantula, a rosie, was 6 months old.... It had hooks. I didn't find out what that meant until a bit later.

Mavjet

Arachnopeon
MadTitan, w0w. I'm sure the intent is always sincere, but some shop personnel just automatically say that if they are sure the animal is at least half grown. I just smiled and took her. No argument. I knew the guy didn't know. Neither do I. He was a cool kid and just as fascinated. They are more reptiles there than spiders. Regardless, I'm having fun just watching her. I always have been fascinated, but this taken it to a whole new level. :D

Thank you, NikiP. I was wondering about that. It's got an inch at the bottom. I've been tempted to build up. Another inch or two?

Tindalos, shame on you putting ideas in my head (brachypelma vagans). They are really pretty.

Raine

Arachnopeon
I so very much want that book now! :D

And I'm right there with you Mavjet. I want a Brachypelma Vagan now too. I even looked up breeders near me to see what the price was! Only $15 from a good breeder! :)