Another Dubia Question.

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If a dubia gets too cold do they go into a hibernation like state where they look like they are dead? My house was at 55 degrees for 2 days because my furnace went out. I have my house back up to around 65 degrees and it looks like some of them are in a state of hibernation while the others are all active.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When they are cold they slow down quite a bit...but I wouldn't say they hibernate. Pick some that are in that state and hold them in your hand until they are very warm. If they don't move, they are dead or close to it, if they act normal then it's just because their metabolism was super slow from the cold.

My furnace went out 4-5 times earlier in the winter, all my tanks were down into the high 40s overnight...lucky for me the power didn't go out and my heat lamps kept them above freezing. The house was 26F once, bad morning and day lol. I lost a few tropicals like my Panchlora adults but everything that died is up and breeding strong again. I wouldn't be too worried as long as most are spunky. A few losses hopefully won't cause much damage to your colony.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My room gets fairly cold in winter, and really hot in summer. In winter you hardly see the roaches except mabye once a week, in summer they are active each night.