another curly moult

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well now over the past 4 - 5 days my curly slings i got from holley have started moulting again.....6 of them so far...now 5th instar....these 6 all last moulted (4th instar) on or around november 22-24......i have moved them all into babyfood jars with an approx. 50/50 peat/verm mix and they have ALL burrowed and most of them up against the glass....talk about COOL!!...their little underground caverns are pretty neat!.....kinda makes it hard to feed them though...mealworms cut up dont seem to get them out of the burrows...guess i will try some 2 week crickets in a day or so.....ones that have moulted 5th instar are looking more like little T's now mostly black and velvety with some "curly" hairs starting to show decent....

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know if I'm ahead of you or behind you, but mine just molted for the second time in my care between 12/01 and 12/07. I switch off between cut up mealworms and crushed crickets. They all seem to be doing quite well.

Botar

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not sure, Botar, the ones that are moulting now are on their 3rd moult in my care.....i dont seem to be having much success with cut up mealworms, so i am going to try some very small -live- crickets this week and see if they are ready to take down live prey.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kosh,
I used a small paint brush, the back end of it, and kinda drill a small hole down the side of the glass through the substrate into the burrow. Then I had a place to drop the small cricket into. I'd also remove the back legs so it couldn't hop around.
It worked pretty good for me. BTW, my little guys about 2" now. And the 30 day molt cycle is long gone.

Ernie

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im going to go buy some small crickets on my lunch today.....i guess i will use the chopsticks i have to make a hole down into the burrows so the cricks can enter and hopefully become a meal.....
my largest curly sling moulted yesterday.....they sure are pretty with their new coloring.....look like little T's now instead of a generic sling.....starting to get to a size where i am a little hesitant to handle them.....like maybe they might be big enough to bite now if they wanted to!!!!
and they sure are fast!!!