Another contradiction--cedar

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also while visiting the T dealer/breeder yesterday I noticed all of his substrate has cedar mulch in it.I questioned him right away after hearing all this tabboo on cedar and T's.He let out a big laugh and said some words forum rules/policy don't allow me to repeat...lol..He said he attributes all his success to his soil mix."Secrets all in the soil mix" he said.He's tried them all but has had amazing success with just black earth and some cedar mulch(fine grade) thrown in to give it some texture.He's been doing this for years with great success and he's got over a thousand healthy and breeding T's to show for it.In most cases the substrate hasn't even been changed for years in the containers.When the containers are opened you immediately get a healthy earthy smell...not a stagnant smell...and no signs of molds or critters in the soil.He said the substrate closest resembles the substrate from natural living conditions.As for not changing the substrate.He said over time the soil actually becomes alive...containing all the beneficial organisms/critters that make up a healthy substrate.Again some more food for thought...peace..

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
interesting, I have heard like you have that cedar is not good for T's. Maybe it's the low amount that he mixes in that makes it ok for his T's. Cedar would be nice to use, since it naturally repels other insects, but I won't be trying it.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, the trick is: it's mulch. If you can't smell the cedar/pine smell to a mulch product, it's fine, the volatile compounds that cause the problems have long since volatized.

It's not so much a contradiction, as the fact that things tend to get simplified to avoid confusion.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderTwin
interesting, I have heard like you have that cedar is not good for T's. Maybe it's the low amount that he mixes in that makes it ok for his T's. Cedar would be nice to use, since it naturally repels other insects, but I won't be trying it.
It's about a 70/30% mix of soil(black earth/gold) and cedar mulch..soil being the 70%....peace..