Another Bicolor Question! (sorry)

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Do all androctonus bicolors have slightly lighter tips of their legs and claws??? or are some all black? I've read that they can come in many patterns, from all black to black with lighter tips! Mine is ALL black, and many of the ones I see online have lighter patterns! :?

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They have very slender pedipalps wich are indeed lighter colored. probably this is why they are called Bicolor. about the legs am not sure.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dam mine is all black. I asked Todd Gearheart, he said he is positive its a bicolor though...... <----------------confused!!

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well i saw your picture of this species and it was indeed all black. It looks a lot like A. Bicolor. but is could very well be A. Crassicauda or mauretanicus, wich are a more rare species in the pet trade. and have more potent venom then bicolor.
I hope that some other people on this forum can take another look at your scorpion.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I posted it on insecthobbist under a different name and aiden confirmed its indeed a bicolor! I took a good look under the light and its tips are slightly lighter but not like the others. Unless you look extremely close, its all black!

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ID of scorp

I just saw this thread and want to clear up the ID questions.

1) I do NOT profess to be a scorpion taxonomist, so if somebody else would like to step in and qualify yourself for that position, be my quest. This scorpion came out of an Egyptian import with the typical information on locality: none.

2) This is definitely NOT A. crassicauda. Those are rarely imported into the U.S. and in the past, came out of U.A.E. imports back in '98-'00. (For the hobbyists, A. crassicauda usually is much larger and the claws tend to be reddish-brown and larger as well.)

3) Having seen many Egyptian scorps, and working with some of the leading scorp experts in our hobby, I'm sure this is A. bicolor, but little is known or little ID info has been available to the U.S. hobby concerning the other black species A. mauretanicus, so it is possible it could be that species, but for now, unless taxonomically-proven, it has been sold as A. bicolor.

4) I might be wrong, but I believe A. mauretanicus is more from NW Africa from Libya over to Morocco, correct?

Todd

errit said:
Well i saw your picture of this species and it was indeed all black. It looks a lot like A. Bicolor. but is could very well be A. Crassicauda or mauretanicus, wich are a more rare species in the pet trade. and have more potent venom then bicolor.
I hope that some other people on this forum can take another look at your scorpion.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
THANKS, is that you todd????? hehe Hey!!! If thats you, the scorps doing great!!

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes A. Mauretanicus is from especially south marocco and mauretania.
But still all A. Bicolors i have seen have more slender build pedipalps and they were lighter colored than this one. And the fact that this specimen has obviously more developed and darker pedipalps i thought it could be another species than bicolor.
I hope some people of this forum like Ythier or nazgul can give identification keys for the determination.

I am really curious :}

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yep, I got myself a real mysterious scorp. It just ate his first meali since I got it.