Anolis equestris experince

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone here had the Cuban anole or Knight anole (Anolis equestris) for any length of time? I have been doing research on them and they seem interesting. However I want the "testimonies" of people who have had them before.

My most pressing question is do they smell bad after "relieving" themselves.(obviously any animal will smell bad if you dont clean their cage often, but with my snakes no matter how clean I kept the cages when they went it was bad, and it lingered) I actually got rid of my three snakes as I could not stand their aroma they made when they eliminated, even if you clean it promptly it was still horrible. I know it sounds silly but when a large cornsnake or python decides to drop one regardless of the time it cannot be ignored. So logically a large anole may smell bad as well?

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
I used to see them running around in Miami, FL sometimes, but never kept them. You should ask Matt (search "Matt K" on this website) as he is the only person I know of who is really into Anoles. He has (or had?) some crazy exotic species! Check this post of his on allpet roaches forum: http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2483&st=0&p=10871&hl=anole&fromsearch=1&#entry10871
I bet he can help you out (tell him I sent ya!)
Good Luck!

Also, from my experience, insect eating reptiles droppings smell much less than mammal eating snakes. You shouldnt have a prob. Have you kept any other type of reptiles before (besides snakes?)

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All I know about them is that they're very quick to bite. They're probably on the same level as a tokay gecko as far as biting goes.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have turtles,(Two false maps, two western painteds, and one common snapper) and green anoles. LOL exciting I know...

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Tleilaxu,

Dont diss your pets, they are mad cool! I would love to have a turtle tank, but I already have my 55gal goldfish tank. Some day though. And I have worked with Snappers (when I worked at Parrot Jungle in Miami FL) those things are CRAZY!!! As for green anoles, they dont get a lot of respect. I see them running around here in FL and I LOVE them. I feel bad though that in Miami the brown anoles are displacing them. And unfortunately, as pets, not many people know or try to give the green anole the best care. But you have been around and I know yours are happy!

And yeah, like Obelisk mentioned, they the knight anoles are biters if you grasp them. I remember catching them and all you saw was a pink mouth! Snap shut real hard too if they get skin, you will bleed!!

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Generally speaking, insectivore feces don't reek quite as badly as carnivore feces. While I do not have a knight anole, I do keep both snakes and lizards, and the waste from my insectivorous lizards does not smell remotely as foul as the snake waste does. That being said, any animal's waste is going to stink if you don't clean it up promptly, so your best bet for avoiding offensive odors from your future knight anole is to spot clean it daily.

Do post pictures if you get one. I have wanted one for years, but the combination of lacking space and an inability to find anything but desperately sick wild caught specimens at reptile shows has deterred me so far.