Anolis carolensis

steu

Arachnopeon
hello, i have few anolis carolensis. Today unawares i found one egg. unfortunately only one ;[ Does someone breeding these lizards? Can anyone tell me how to incubate this egg. What kind of substrate i should use? what temperature got to be? And how long does the incubation takes?

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is a good chance it may be a dud.

My anoles had 7 unexpected babies last summer. The babies when hatched are about 1 1/2" in size. I removed them from the main tank to keep the parents from eating them, and because they were so small they could fit through the screen top.

This site should be helpful,

http://members.aol.com/Mite37/TPFGA.html

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Firstly, are you sure you have both males and females? Males are larger with brightly coloured dewlaps while females have a distinctive white or cream stripe running down their spines.

Secondly, how did you find the egg and what does it look like? If the egg fell from some foliage it will be dead anyway as reptile eggs must be maintained in the same position as they were laid at all times - rotating or turning them will cause the embyo inside to drown in its own amniotic fluid. If it is lying in or on the substrate you have a better chance of it surviving. A healthy egg should be smooth and white or ivory coloured. If it is shrivelled, hard and yellow then it is dead.

If your egg looks ok transfer it carefully (without changing its position) into a plastic container like an empty tupperware box lined with damp spagnum moss, punch a few holes in the lid to allow oxygen transfer and place it somewhere warm and dark at about 25 - 29C. Don't worry if it becomes darkened or otherwised discoloured, as long as it stayes smooth and round with no dents you are doing ok. If you need to increase the dampness of the moss do so carefully as any droplets of water on the suface of the egg will prevent oxygen from being tranfered into the egg and it will suffocate. After about 10 days you may wish to check the fertility of the egg by using a small LED light (like a keyring torch) and gently shinning it into the egg - if it glows pink or red then you know its alive, if it glows yellow then its a dud egg with no embryo inside. Only hold the light for 1 or 2 seconds though, as the sudden intense light can shock the embryo (if there is one) if its held for any longer.

Don't worry if this egg doesn't make it this time - you anoles are apparantly sexually active now and you may find they start producing eggs regularly so check their enclosure carefully for them from now on.

Hope this helps.