Animal Planet - "Total Fear"

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I live in California - right now Animal Planet is showing "Total Fear," a show about spiders. It's catering to arachnophobe's. You gotta laugh - they're using a narrator with a "scary" voice. They're gonna show some bad bites. BOOO! :D =D

Whammy_Sosa

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by D-Man
I live in California - right now Animal Planet is showing "Total Fear," a show about spiders. It's catering to arachnophobe's. You gotta laugh - they're using a narrator with a "scary" voice. They're gonna show some bad bites. BOOO! :D =D
I wish I got animal planet. I get discovery channel and all they show is shows about motorcycles these days, nature shows are few and far between.

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We watched this as well, and fully expected the whole "Spiders are Evil" thing to happen, but I have to say that they kept the bull to a minimum.

I was especially glad to see the phobic woman voluntarily stick her hand in and touch the T at the end.

Don't you love a happy ending? We were kinda sad that it didn't go on to tell how she now loves Ts and has a huge collection of baboons and cobalts now though. Maybe there will be a sequal?

Ali

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just despise those types of shows. They seem to portray Tarantulas as evil little creatures bent on intentionally causing people injury and harm. I try to tell people that spiders are more afraid of us than we are of them which is why when cornered, a Tarantula will strike at someone.

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
and in the end the poor tarantula was sitting on glass also another note

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They did say that T's are harmless to humans.
I thought the red knee was going to pop when it fell from the top of that cage. It fell a good 8". :eek:

Ernie

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
They did say that T's are harmless to humans.
I thought the red knee was going to pop when it fell from the top of that cage. It fell a good 8". :eek:

Ernie
What idiot allowed it to fall?!

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I thought it was kinda stupid that they had the Ts in glass tanks without any substrate, but don't you know substrate would have made them harder to see?? LOL

And the guy who let the red knee fall was a psychologist. He had it in a little (5gal?) tank, and it was climbing up the side, then all the sudden it just fell to the bottom. He seemed ok afterwards, but like we said before there was no substrate, so he had nothing soft to land on.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I personally can't stand Animal Planet 99% of the time.

There's a few good shows in there, but the number of crap shows is completely overwhelming.

America's Funniest Aniamls (omg, I hate the host more than anything in the world. I'd rather eat glass while being kicked in the balls than spend 30 seconds watching him.)

Animal Psychic, dog shows, etc.

I don't want to watch 23 hours of dogs and cats in order to actually watch some real *nature* shows.

National Geographic is a much better channel for nature shows.

National Geographic, Discovery ChannelS (Science Channel, Discovery Wings, Discovery Health, Discovery Civilization, and the plain ol' Discovery Channel), and TLC...Only channels worth watching..

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
I just despise those types of shows. They seem to portray Tarantulas as evil little creatures bent on intentionally causing people injury and harm. I try to tell people that spiders are more afraid of us than we are of them which is why when cornered, a Tarantula will strike at someone.
Didn't a couple of people just get done saying that the show in fact DID NOT do that? Why editorialize? It sounds like they did a better job than anyone expected, and gave correct information to boot... why are we complaining about this show again? :)

Anyway, while people are nitpicking about their housing and substrate, you should be jumping for joy that they said, as MrT pointed out, T's are harmless to humans! Just because they are not as knowledgeable as us as a group, don't assume the arrogant "us vs them" pose that has crippled the herp community...

Will any "outsiders" giving the general public CORRECT information about inverts EVER be good enough for some?

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
I personally can't stand Animal Planet 99% of the time.

There's a few good shows in there, but the number of crap shows is completely overwhelming.

America's Funniest Aniamls (omg, I hate the host more than anything in the world. I'd rather eat glass while being kicked in the balls than spend 30 seconds watching him.)

Animal Psychic, dog shows, etc.

I don't want to watch 23 hours of dogs and cats in order to actually watch some real *nature* shows.

National Geographic is a much better channel for nature shows.

National Geographic, Discovery ChannelS (Science Channel, Discovery Wings, Discovery Health, Discovery Civilization, and the plain ol' Discovery Channel), and TLC...Only channels worth watching..
If memory serves me right, the man you are referring to is Dr. Clayton Forester himself, Trace Beaulieu. I love Dr. Forester. I never thought he was irritating in the least on MST3K. How can you say such things of the beloved Mad Scientist who sends Joel Robinson or Mike Nelson and the 'Bots all those disgustingly bad movies to watch and raz. God I miss that show so much. Mystery Science Theater 3000 has changed the way I prefer to watch bad movies forever.:(

Last edited:

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was actually impressed with the way this show presented the T's. Sure, everything wasnt 100% perfect and acurate, but it was a lot better than most of the shows Ive seen.

And as for the America's Funniest Animals show, I can't watch it either. It has its good points, but they definately need some new writers, the host has terrible scripting. LOL

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by alidpayne
And as for the America's Funniest Animals show, I can't watch it either. It has its good points, but they definately need some new writers, the host has terrible scripting. LOL
I agree... he's like the older brother of "Steve, the 'Dude, You're getting a Dell' guy" .... ;) And a laugh track??? come on, you can round up a couple of dozen homeless people from outside the studio and give them a few bucks to ACTUALLY laugh... in this modern age of almost all comedies taping live, NO ONE BUYS THE LAUGH TRACK ANYMORE....

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I admit, I've never watched this America's Funniest Animals on Animal Planet. I just can't believe that Trace is not funny. He was freaking hilarious on MST3K.

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Godzilla,

it isn't Trace Beaulieu. It is Matt Gallant.

(and it is the Planets Funniest Animals, not America's Funniest Animals. LOL Sorry about that.)

Although I did read something about Trace Beaulieu hosting a "candid camera" type show for animal planet. I am not sure what ever happened to it though.

Ali

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Oh man... wrong show... I was thinking of America's Funniest Animal Videos or something... video show, definitely... all my comments apply to that show :)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by alidpayne
Hey Godzilla,

it isn't Trace Beaulieu. It is Matt Gallant.

(and it is the Planets Funniest Animals, not America's Funniest Animals. LOL Sorry about that.)

Although I did read something about Trace Beaulieu hosting a "candid camera" type show for animal planet. I am not sure what ever happened to it though.

Ali
I must have gotten my shows mixed up. I think Trace's show had been canceled a long time ago.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Matt Gallant is DEFINITELY annoying, but some of the videos are hilarious.... if they could just remove him from the show. I love watching anything with animals, they need to remove the people. I heard "Thank you soooooo much for talking with me dahhhhhling" one time and that was it for the psychic show!

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by terridumonte
Matt Gallant is DEFINITELY annoying, but some of the videos are hilarious.... if they could just remove him from the show. I love watching anything with animals, they need to remove the people. I heard "Thank you soooooo much for talking with me dahhhhhling" one time and that was it for the psychic show!
So basically Matt Gallant is like Bob Saget on America's Funniest Home Videos. I loved the videos but Bob Saget's act was just lame. He should have just stuck to doing Full House.

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
The Tarantula Channel

The show ended up being ok, but any kind of phobia just plain bothers me....the brunette was dramatic. The blond got a rotten bite and had the balls to touch the T.

Hey, that pet psychic witch is so full of it! And Matt Gallant needs to take a walk - I like some of the videos, though. I agree, National Geographic channels are cool - I get a few of them.....AT&T has too many channels!

Someone needs to make an all T channel!!!! We should ban together and make it happen! =D