Androctonus bicolor pic.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
That is one awsome pic Dave. That has got to be one of the most wicked/evil looking scorp pics I have seen in awhile.

John
; ' /

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks. I was using bright sunlight to go for "artistic" effect today. I still want to go back and take shots that can be used more for identification etc.

Cheers,
Dave

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
See, now that's a scorp that I would absolutely love to have. Unfortunately, because accidents can happen and my collection is basically in my living room, I won't get anything like that for fear that it might get out and I have two kids under 4. That doesn't mix in my book. Maybe if we ever get a house and I have a seperate room for my invert collection, I'll start to think about it. A. bicolor is definitely on my list for that time....

Scott

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
That's a very responsible attitude, Scott. The fact that dangerous scorps and kids do mix in some people's books is just sad. Until you do get your own (locked) room, feel free to live vicariously through Gary and I. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
You used natural sunlight to photograph the pic. But is that photographed through the glass of the enclosure or do you have some shallow temporary thing to enable you to get the camera in close?

I have some decent photos of my spadix...I should post them when I get a chance.

John
; ' /

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Yes you should, John. I'd love to see them.

My A.bicolor are actualy in tupperware containers. I take off the lids and photograph them. There's only about 2" from the top of the substrate to the rim.

Cheers,
Dave

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Props to you on the artistic effect. I love it! I may have to try that (natural sunlight) myself. I just use a heat lamp for lighting since my bug room is in the basement. It's usually the only portable light within convenient reach.
You're pretty brave gettin that close though. Do you wear chainmail gloves while holding the cam that close?;)
I get a little spooked taking pics of the hot stuff from that close myself. There's always that split second after you take the pic when the little screen on the cam goes blank. My bugs always pick that exact moment to quickly advance toward me. Then the screen somes back on and I don't see the bug in the viewfinder.:eek: Then I look around the camera to find the bug inches from my hand and closing fast! Fun!:rolleyes:

Anyhow, Great pic Dave.

ATrax

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Gary,

Natural sunlight is good, but the time of day really does matter. I was using a beam that set the shadows, but later in the day I probably could have achieved a more even illumination. I really want to take some pics in my backyard, so that I can have the sun directly above -- but then the neighbours will see and I'll be in all sorts of trouble. The C.exilicauda pics were taken under a white halogen bulb and turned out okay. I was taking the pics through the glass, though -- next time I'm popping the top.

I'm actualy not using a digital camera, as I have spent too much on scorpions and can't afford one. I am using an old Pentax SLR camera with a zoom/macro lense. There is about 8" of lense and several inches of space between the scorps and me at any time. Of course it does mean I have to run down to the developer, get the film developed and then run back here and scan the pics -- but it is a labour of love. ;)

Cheers,
Dave