Androctonus Australis - Moulting experts

Krissrock

Arachnopeon
I've had this guy for a couple of years. (S)He has molted once so far. After he began eating again, he got fat, and has pretty much stayed that way since. He's gone for months without eating but doesn't ever seems to get any thinner. As I was looking through some other thread, i've seen pics of others that key me into the idea that this guy might be ready to moult again.

If you don't mind, I wanted you're opinion on this. Is (S)he just fat, or getting close to a moult? Never been introduced to another scorp, so i know its not prego

thanks

Drinking

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Odd coincidence. I have a male A.A. under the exact same scenario and was wondering the same. One molt since I've had him, 3 months without eating without getting thinner. Even looks identical in size (and substrate/tank setup).

I've tried increasing humidity and heat for over a month now in hopes to help initiate a molt.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You basically answered your own question :D It's going to molt in due time.....

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Without proper heating you can prolong the molting process by months. This may be your situation. Between test groups of 2i deathstalkers I had, the two groups (heated and non-heated) had a general difference of two months longer to molt to third instar.

Krissrock

Arachnopeon
I use a 75 watt night bulb for him. I keep it on one side of the tank. Maybe two days out of the week i'll wake up to find him basking in the heat (when i'm able to snap pics) Otherwise, he's under his rock all the time. I usually only give him like two crickets maybe every month or two...

he's still eating which would indicate he's not ready to moult right?

i'm gonna try upping the humidity and available water too.

saxman, can you recommend a temp?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use a 75 watt night bulb for him. I keep it on one side of the tank. Maybe two days out of the week i'll wake up to find him basking in the heat (when i'm able to snap pics) Otherwise, he's under his rock all the time. I usually only give him like two crickets maybe every month or two...

he's still eating which would indicate he's not ready to moult right?

i'm gonna try upping the humidity and available water too.

saxman, can you recommend a temp?
It will refuse food right before molting....normal feeding schedule is once a week 1-2 appropriate sized prey items, so if you only feed it twice a month, it will probably take longer before it molts....But it already looks like a walking sausage :)

Krissrock

Arachnopeon
lol, no actually, i give him two crickets (at the same time) once a month, or every two months.
I mostly just watch for when he's sitting out looking for prey.
Even then, he may let them live a few days before catching them.
yeah, he's fat, and he's been this way basically since he's started eating again after his last moult. I hope it's a moult, otherwise, i think he's plugged up

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
It will refuse food right before molting....normal feeding schedule is once a week 1-2 appropriate sized prey items, so if you only feed it twice a month, it will probably take longer before it molts....But it already looks like a walking sausage :)
ive had an A.A. for about three months now and she has molted once right after i got her. People say theirs may go weeks or even months without eating, but thats not the case for me. Shes really active and comes out of her hide roaming the tank everyday. And everytime i put a cricket or dubai roach in there she immediately gets it. She will eat every single day if i let her, but i usually give her one every other day or three times a week. She never hesitates. Shes got a good girth on her, but not blimp-like. Its been about two months since the last molt, how long do you think until she molts again. Shes constantly eating so i figure it will be soon?

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
One of my A australis molted about 9 months ago, she has 1 more molt to go since females molt 8x.
So if yours molted 2 months ago it will take a while. She will keep eating until very fat.
There will come a time when she refuses food, then you know what's up.
When the scorpion refuses food you better leave it alone and give it some rest.
The time from refusing food to actually molting can be several weeks, it won't give you a heads up when she's actually going to molt.
A heads up would be nice though because then you could slightly raise humidity which helps her molt and reduces complications during molting.
When a scorpion refuses food and keeps in its hiding place for a extended period towards a coming molt, a sudden higher humidity can sometimes trigger it to molt.