Androctonus Australis - Just a fast FAQ

will

Arachnopeon
Good day, I've been conducting research lately regarding A.A. So far so good. But I got stuck with a set of following questions. The kind of questions that I've decided to raise with real enthusiasts who have successfully handled A.A species.

I'm prepared to receive replies such as "use the search button", etc, so feel free to bombard me if you like (hehe!) but for the sake of my A.A, I'll still push this.

Questions :

o1. I know A.A is a desert type scorpion. So is it safe to say that I won't have to worry if the enclosure and the substrate is completely dry? As in dry as a sand?

o2. Water... Some say that there's no need to offer water dish because they get the 'water' they need from their food. But some also say that a wide shallow water dish is required. Which is true?

o3. Substrate... Some say a fine sand is required. But when I look at photos, I've noticed that some use gravel same with the once used on tropical fish tanks. I don't want a rough type gravel since I know A.A are inhabitants of fine sand, then most likely they are designed for fine sand. If I use rough gravel like substrate then that might irritate the creature. But then again, I've seen photos using gravel instead of sand. Please enlighten me on this.

o4. Decor... Does the A.A requires decor? Rocks, etc...Or can they live in a completely plain clean, flat bedded enclosure?

- - -

I guess that's all... For now... :D I'll appreciate all types of replies... Thanks guys! : )

Krissrock

Arachnopeon
i'm no expert...but i've owned and A.A for about 3 years now. I will give you my opinion on your questions.

1. I think the substrate is ok to be completely dry. Although, a lil mist here and there wont hurt either.

2. YES. Give 'em a water dish. Often they may run after they step or touch it, but there will be times they will dip their whole face in the water dish! I've had a friend that had two Dune Scorpions die. they ate well, but never got any water, and we see no other reasons why they died, and mine scorp is still alive, other than I give mine water.

3. I think most recommend the play sand cause it can hold a lil moisture if necessary and is more packable for their burrows...but I've seen ppl use fish tank sand as well. I think i would go with some type of sand over pebble like colored fish tank rocks.

4. It sucks, cause you may almost never see the lil guy, but i would definitely give them somethiing to burrow under or hide under. Unlike my desert hairy which was always out on the prowl, i find the A.A to be more chill. He's only out when somethiing is either bothering him (sound) or when he's hungry. He loves his burrow. I recommend wind stone. it has a lot of crazy shape to it.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
3. I think most recommend a mixture of normal play sand, fine reptile sand, and possibly a small amount of peat or coconut fiber to help hold the structure.

4. All scorps need something to use as a hide. Rocks, wood/bark, broken pottery, etc. As long as it has hides, the rest is up to you. They don't seem to care much about decor as long as they feel secure.

will

Arachnopeon
@ Krissrock & llamastick,

Thanks for the very brief and straight replies. :D At least now direct outputs from real experienced A.A keepers. I wish I'll be successful with my A.A. Many thanks again! (^_^)