Androctonus Australis Feeding Schedule?

RoVa85

Arachnopeon
Hi all.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me a little about androctonus husbandry. Specifically, androctonus australis. I am primarily interested in feeding schedules. I have had a few people tell me that they feed heavy and then fast, while other tell me to provide one meal every other week. I was wondering if there is a more prevalent school of thought out there.

Also, does the feeding schedule really just depend on what you want out of your scorpion (ie: breeding, getting big, or prolonging lifespan)? If it depends on what I want, I want my androctonus to live forever. So what would the best feeding schedule be for that?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
HH

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Housing: Something secure that they can't get out of even if it's knocked over.

Substrate: Sand or something that doesn't retain humidity as they are really susceptible to mycosis like all desert scorpions

Hide: A piece of cork bark or slate rock to make a scrape under

Water: They have adapted to getting their moisture from prey. Offering a water dish wouldn't hurt when done sparingly

Temperature: Room temperature is fine. 77-88 would be ideal though.

Feeding: depends on the size of your specimen, a scorpling will eat multiple times a week, a juvi will eat a little less and an adult would eat once a week or every other week or so.

People do what is called power feeding, keeping them hotter to boost their metabolism and feed, feed, feed to rush their growth for breeding projects.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hi all.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me a little about androctonus husbandry. Specifically, androctonus australis. I am primarily interested in feeding schedules. I have had a few people tell me that they feed heavy and then fast, while other tell me to provide one meal every other week. I was wondering if there is a more prevalent school of thought out there.

Also, does the feeding schedule really just depend on what you want out of your scorpion (ie: breeding, getting big, or prolonging lifespan)? If it depends on what I want, I want my androctonus to live forever. So what would the best feeding schedule be for that?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
HH
Yeah, it just all depends. I don't think feeding a little more will affect it's life span. About once-twice a week for a juvie/adult should be good. Even once per week should be alright for a big scorpling :D For care, keep it dry with a hide and they are set.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For my current A.crassicauda and mauretanicus, I feed them until they are morbidly fat, then usually lay off for a week or two.
then one last feed and that's usually enough to see them to the next instar. Keeping mine very hot too, 30-35C.

Not sure if it applies to ALL buthids, but usually you'll only get a few broods out of them before they die, grow fast, breed fast, die fast :(

brolloks

Arachnobaron
You might even find that they don't want to eat when you offer them food. I have had arid scorpions refuse food for literally months before they start eating again. Moulting and other things also play a role of course.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
Mine is absolutely insane. She will go after my hand if I tap the side of her enclosure and will take down adult orange heads much larger than herself

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Has anyone had success keeping these at Temps such as 66ish to 70ish in winter to 75ish to 80ish in summer? I ask because I don't have the ability to use supplementary heat at my current location but I will be able to when I move.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Has anyone had success keeping these at Temps such as 66ish to 70ish in winter to 75ish to 80ish in summer? I ask because I don't have the ability to use supplementary heat at my current location but I will be able to when I move.
In the winter, the average temperature in most North African countries is similar, so it shouldn’t be an issue. Then increase temperature when the warmer months start again.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
75ish to 80ish in summer
Sorry, I missed this part of your post. That's quite cool for summer temps. I personally wouldn't do it. If it's only for a short time, I don't think it would be an issue.
I don't keep any Androctonus though. This is purely based on their natural habitat, what I've heard from other keepers, and my experience with other species.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
I keep mine at around 70 - 72 in winter, 80 - 85 in summer. Only problem I noticed is very slow growth, in over two years my A. australis went from 2nd instar to 4th, and trio of A. mauritanicus from 3rd to 5th. I am planning some heating now, as I would like to keep them 83 - 86 day time all year round, with night drop and 1 or 2 winter months without heating. IMO in Your condition adults would do fine, growth of youngs would be minimal to none but otherwise they should be ok.