An Anole Feeding

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a webcam shot that I took just before bed last night when my BRazilian Salmon attacked and devoured an anole, its first vertebrate meal.

Attachments

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Live and let Die

Hey man, nice pic.
The anole is live when you put it in there, right? I can't wait to see my T doing that. Of course...I'm getting a 1", and I don't even HAVE it yet, so I'll be waiting a while. Anyway, nice pic.
The Rookie

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
THis one is only 2.5" so you probably wont be waiting that long and yes the anole was alive. It was dead seconds after it hit the substrate though and it has been overnight since the death occurred and it is gone.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I dont like the idea of feeding anoles. I saw one at the pet store, their too cute to do that to ! But thats just me. :( :( :( :( Im too soft.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cute anoles

Jacenbeers,
I can't believe you were able to feed an anole to a spider that young. i thought they'd have to be at least 4 to 5" to take one down.
anoles are kinda cute. my friend had one. i'd really like to see a T take it down cause those lizards are fast fast fast. i'd like to see a little chase. if i ever feed my T one (which i will) i think i might charge money to guys in my dorm to watch it. i'd pay to see it if i were in their position. haha.
The Rookie

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spider_savior
I dont like the idea of feeding anoles. I saw one at the pet store, their too cute to do that to ! But thats just me. :( :( :( :( Im too soft.
If you saw where they come from (down here in Florida, for one), you'd think differently. There are literally THOUSANDS in my yard alone. If they didn't eat mosquitos and roaches, I'd consider them a pest.

I agree that they're adorable, but the do reproduce in the numbers they do because they are a PREY species. Such is the circle of life :)

-Bryan

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HE finished the whole thing except for a little piece of the end of the tail and a tiny tangle of black digested slime at the end. He held onto it for liek a day but it got smelly so I took it away from the spider and threw it aweay. He eats lots and is happy now.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think the worst part would be buying it from an unexpecting pet-store. They'll tell you all sorts of ways to take care of your precious little lizard and you give them kind of a blank stare and reply with, "I'm feeding it to a tarantula.."

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Hehe... that would be fun... you'd either get the tree-hugging hippy pet store owner who would be like, "Why on earth would you do such a horrible, horrible thing?!?", or you'd get the Pantera T-shirt-wearing teenager who'd tell you, "DO you wanna bring your tarantula HERE and feed it?? Look, I'll give it to you free if you just let me watch!"

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just let me watch

Haha. That was pretty funny mrinternet (i've heard of you before, it's nice to meet you mister internet). i'm hoping for the pantera-wearing kid (with his '87 camaro parked outside), so i won't get flak about the whole thing. i am looking forward to that, to just be all straight-faced, and say "i'm not getting it as a pet..it's FOOD for a pet." i'm looking forward to the pet store guy's reaction.
anyway, like i said, i still have a wait, though perhaps not as long as I thought.
Paul

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a victim in mind a nice perky sweet little girl who works at a pet store in the Dallas area. I will stop by on my way home from the airport next week.

John

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mice?

I was in a pet shop the other day (the one i like) and they had mice, but they were little tiny mice. they were perfectly round little balls, not even as big as a golf ball. they're furry and all of that. can i feed a tarantula one of these? they seem to be the perfect size.
Just curious. I'm pretty sick. I go to the pet store now and ask myself what my Tarantula can eat.
Stupidest Tarantula question from a friend yet: "Do Tarantulas eat fish?"
The Rookie

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Hey Rookie,

First of all... I wasn't aware I had a reputation? Nice to meet you too, btw...

Secondly, at the risk of asking either a COMPLETELY stupid question or showing off my complete ignorace, why wouldn't a T be able to eat a fish? Seems perfectly reasonable to me that arboreal species in the wild would end up building webs in trees bent over water, or in bushes growing off a riverbank into the water... they'd catch a little jumper every once in awhile from that, I'm sure. Are you saying it's a stupid question because it's a known fact that T's DO NOT eat fish, or because it's a known fact that they DO? Would a T completely ignore a feeder goldfish or rosy red that you held out to it or dropped in its web?

I'm seriously curious here... I've never even heard it discussed before...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fish-eating tarantulas are not unknown. Many keepers offer feeder goldfish from forcepts as an alternative vertebrate prey to pinkies. Some tarantulas have even been known to capture swimming goldfish. Hysterocrates gigas and Psalmopoeus cambridgei are two that have been known to dive into water after a fish, but I do not know if they do this in the wild.

Wade

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Guess I'm the stupid one

Hey,
I thought it was a stupid question about the fish since I assumed a T wouldn't be able to get its palps on one. also, since they're not amphibious, i thought they wouldn't even try. turns out i'm a big jackass, and they can get their palps on them. i even read a post a few days ago about someone using a goldfish as a feeder.
Hey, that's why I have my nickname.
The Rookie

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Rookie,

Don't worry about it. It was a good subject and everyone on here was a Rookie at one time. Stick around a while and you'll learn a lot for these guys/gals.

Botar

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rookie, you are never a jackass. Every beginner has tons of questions and concerns. If you didnt then we would have to be concerned about you because then you would probably be jumping into a hobby that would be way over your head and the tarantual could suffer as a result. Keep the queestions coming in. Even people like myself who have lots of spider experience ask silly questions.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
The only stupid question is on that is not asked. :D

Why do I keep thinking I should change my name to Mr. Myagi???;)

Nuff Said,

Scott

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Supportive bunch

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I've been posting here for over a month now (Scott knows exactly, I guess), but it seems that the questions never end when you don't have your spider yet. Tomorrow by the way. My G.Pulchra spider arrives tomorrow morning. It's incredibly exciting.
When he first arrives, I imagine I'll have A LOT of questions, but I hope to be a guru one day that answers all of the questions for a new rookie.
I just hope I'm ready.
The Rookie