American Grass Spiders - Genus Agelenopsis Care Guide + FAQ

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Just got one of these from my school. It’s missing four legs but gets around ok. Will it grow them back? It’s already webbing and is about as big as a nickel. Any advice?

Jadestone

Arachnosquire
If the spider isn't fully grown yet, it should be able to regrow the legs when it molts.

Joshua Bennett

Arachnopeon
I work in an autoshop, and saw this guy running from the cold coming from the cracked bay door, scooped him up using a container, and coercing him into it with the lid... Took him 3 days to entangle 3/4 of the temporary container, in web.

13 days later I had the enclosure, assuming I should focus debris on a horizontal plain, due to how their webs are built, I placed a few sticks into the bottom to provide a slightly elevated area to allow for a funnel to down below, 20191104_201052.jpg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Maybe just leave her alone for now. I get the feeling you two are going to warming a whole lot of itty bitty baby bottles in the near future.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
My female is wild caught and layed an egg sack. Any way to know if it is fertile?

Joshua Bennett

Arachnopeon
I work in an autoshop, and saw this guy running from the cold coming from the cracked bay door, scooped him up using a container, and coercing him into it with the lid... Took him 3 days to entangle 3/4 of the temporary container, in web.

13 days later I had the enclosure, assuming I should focus debris on a horizontal plain, due to how their webs are built, I placed a few sticks into the bottom to provide a slightly elevated area to allow for a funnel to down below, View attachment 324732
Have an update, for this one. It stopped eating and died before making a new web, my theory is avoid disturbing them for at least a good while once they've established a web, and avoid giving them crickets with the third prong in the middle on their backside, one used this prong as a defensive weapon and possibly fatally injured my specimen causing it to not feed anymore

animalgirl555

Arachnopeon
Hi I know this thread is kind of old *cough; 5 years; cough* but I also found a way to catch a grass spider.
I have had my grass spider for a month or so now, and I was being random and googling grass spiders when I came upon this thread. ;) So anyways...
All I did was scare the spider into it's burrow tunnel thing. Then, I got a catch cup and a lid, and closed it over the spider's burrow tunnel thing (cup goes under the tunnel-den, lid closes from above the tunnel-den thing) Wow! Now you have a very annoyed grass spider in a catch cup! Lol.
I know this method isn't the best, but I mean, it worked!
Good luck to the spooder catchers out there!
*edit:* Oh shoot...wrong thread. Eh, it's ok.

NixM

Arachnopeon
I have a grass spider just chilling in my house but we don’t really have a lot of bugs inside that it could eat. Would it live longer/healthier if I catch it and feed as mentioned above? It’s the biggest spider I’ve ever had inside. Usually I just let the smaller ones chill and they stick around a while. I just don’t want it to die because it lacks food. I’m fond of it and would prefer not to stick him outside.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have a grass spider just chilling in my house but we don’t really have a lot of bugs inside that it could eat. Would it live longer/healthier if I catch it and feed as mentioned above? It’s the biggest spider I’ve ever had inside. Usually I just let the smaller ones chill and they stick around a while. I just don’t want it to die because it lacks food. I’m fond of it and would prefer not to stick him outside.
You're better off feeding it in its already established web if you don't mind it being there.