American Carrion Beetle as feeders?

Deeser

Arachnosquire
I was curious if anyone has tried raising or even just feeding the odd American Carrion Beetle (Necrophila Americana) to your Ts?

I live in Canada where cockroaches are illegal to own and import, but while on a hike I saw a couple of these beetles and they seemed like a good size, etc. for a feeder, but no idea how prolific they are..

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ehh never heard of them , try looking online. Why are dubia illegal in Canada it’s too cold for any roach species to invade there. Any that can survive there are already there from old traveling ships , queen of Britain still owns Canada. Why queen is on there money.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Because our government is lazy and doesnt want to review species by species. Instead they are content to ban all mantids, millipedes, roaches, scarabs/beetles... But potentially fatal scorpians and centipedes are no problem *smh*

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Because our government is lazy and doesnt want to review species by species. Instead they are content to ban all mantids, millipedes, roaches, scarabs/beetles... But potentially fatal scorpians and centipedes are no problem *smh*
Weird , I guess Canada beilives in the authoritarian approach just like USA . Just maybe lack the research?

Last edited by a moderator:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Canada isn't the paradise that ppl claim it to be. That's a ridiculous law.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Canada isn't the paradise that ppl claim it to be. That's a ridiculous law.
Most feeder Roaches would freeze to death if they escaped, and millipedes also. Yeah insanity, I’m sure deadly snakes and fat tail scorpion are safer then roaches to Canada’s government?

cold blood

Staff member
Canada isn't the paradise that ppl claim it to be.
Spoken like someone who has not been to the Canadian wilderness....lol...believe me, it is a virtual paradise.

OP, you could always raise superworms or even easier, meal worms.

If I was in a very natural area and wanted to catch food, I would use grasshoppers or crickets. Very abundant in specific areas.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Most feeder Roaches would freeze to death if they escaped, and millipedes also. Yeah insanity, I’m sure deadly snakes and fat tail scorpion are safer then roaches to Canada’s government?
I prefer crickets and superworms/mealworms as feeders personally, but having the option of roaches is nice. Some states are illegal, like Florida, even though at this point they are already established so it's basically moot.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Spoken like someone who has not been to the Canadian wilderness....lol...believe me, it is a virtual paradise.

OP, you could always raise superworms or even easier, meal worms.

If I was in a very natural area and wanted to catch food, I would use grasshoppers or crickets. Very abundant in specific areas.
I meant politically. In terms of the natural world it most definitely is a paradise. The farther from people you go the better it is.

cold blood

Staff member
I meant politically. In terms of the natural world it most definitely is a paradise. The farther from people you go the better it is.
Thats true everywhere. Citys all are they same, very city like, ya know...to judge any area, I do so by the areas around those citys, the natural areas show the area best, as well as showing the true nature of the people better IMO. I would move to Canada is a heartbeat, but the largest city I would live near is Dryden, ON....lol....I don't see the point of living in such a place, and living in a big city.

Yeah though, I know what you meant....hehe

MikeyD

Arachnosquire
Seeing as this beetle species is listed as critically endangered I think it's a bad idea to be using them as a feeder when you can simply use crickets or meal/super worms.

Existing Protection or other Status Designations
Globally, the American Burying Beetle is listed in the IUCN Red List as Critically Endangered, subrank A1c, based on a population reduction of ≥90% and a decline in area of occupancy and occurrence (IUCN 2009).

In August 1989 it was federally listed as an Endangered Species in the United States through the U.S. Endangered Species Act, based on the drastic decline and extirpation of the species over nearly its entire historical range.

NatureServe (2009) ranks the species at G2G3 globally, rounded to G2 (imperiled), N2N3 nationally for the United States, and NH (historical) for Canada.

The species has not yet been assessed under the National General Status protocols for Canada (Wild Species 2009).

Table 1 gives current listing information by province and state.

https://www.registrelep-sararegistry.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=87860758-1#_Toc314138968