Amblypygid ID Help

boxofspiders

Arachnopeon
I got this guy from a local pet shop around 6 months ago labeled as Phrynus mexicanus, which to my understanding has been reclassified(?) so I'm not sure what species it is. Can anyone help ID it? Also the pics kinda make it look gigantic but it's pretty small. Still young it molted once in my care. Thanks

Attachments

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
Could be a variety of species- unless you know where it's been collected it would be impossible to provide a definitive ID. But I can guarantee that the pet store has it mislabeled as it's a paraphrynus sp. To my knowledge the only two paraphrynus sp that makes it into the U.S. and is readily available is cubensis and laevifrons. But even then cubensis is reasonably niche- you wouldn't come by one for sale unless you were intentionally searching for it which gets confusing because the pet store really shouldn't be selling one, especially mislabelled. That being said it's most likely a laevifrons- but it could very much be a different species. Hope this helps

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Could be a variety of species- unless you know where it's been collected it would be impossible to provide a definitive ID. But I can guarantee that the pet store has it mislabeled as it's a paraphrynus sp. To my knowledge the only two paraphrynus sp that makes it into the U.S. and is readily available is cubensis and laevifrons. But even then cubensis is reasonably niche- you wouldn't come by one for sale unless you were intentionally searching for it which gets confusing because the pet store really shouldn't be selling one, especially mislabelled. That being said it's most likely a laevifrons- but it could very much be a different species. Hope this helps
This specimen looks exactly like P. cubensis, it's definitely not laevifrons. I can't say for certain that it's cubensis because there are other Paraphrynus from Mexico and elsewhere that look very similar, but afaik cubensis is the only species with this appearance seen in the US hobby. The "mexicanus" label could imply that it's imported since that name usually gets slapped on central american imports, but I find it more likely that this is cubensis.

also, P. carolynae is another Paraphrynus that's often available in the US since they're native to a couple southwestern states (but this definitely isn't carolynae).

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
This specimen looks exactly like P. cubensis, it's definitely not laevifrons. I can't say for certain that it's cubensis because there are other Paraphrynus from Mexico and elsewhere that look very similar, but afaik cubensis is the only species with this appearance seen in the US hobby. The "mexicanus" label could imply that it's imported since that name usually gets slapped on central american imports, but I find it more likely that this is cubensis.

also, P. carolynae is another Paraphrynus that's often available in the US since they're native to a couple southwestern states (but this definitely isn't carolynae).
Yeah but no cubensis ever finds their way into local pet stores- but also the banding on the legs isn't customary for cubensis. Not only that, cubensis would have already lost the reddish coloring at the size shown in the photo- which means that its definitely a larger paraphrynus species most likely laevifrons.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
You sure it's a Paraphrynus? From the third and fourth pictures I thought it was a Phrynus. I could be wrong though.
This guy got it right.
@boxofspiders you have a Phrynus here. Which species is anyone's guess... It will be easier to determine when it becomes an adult (still immature).

boxofspiders

Arachnopeon
Well thanks to everyone for giving their thoughts, guess I'll just have to wait for it to mature before I get a species specific answer (if I ever do).