Amazing Electron Micrographs

eruheru

Arachnopeon
Hi all, My dad had a friend at a local university take some pictures of my walking sticks for a project analyzing their ability to climb smooth surfaces. These were taken under an electron microspcope and reveal some amazing detail. Check them out!
http://picasaweb.google.com/eruheru/Electron#

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Awesome. I love SEM pics. What was the species of the stick?

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, it's always so amazing to see what our eyes can't see. Nature has managed to create so much order on this chunk of rock.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I have a buddy who might be purchasing an electron microscope for his office/work, and I am hoping that he will let me get some shots of some of my inverts sometime. That would be sooooooo cool.

On a similar note my sister in-law used to date a guy that worked in the MRI department at the largest hospital in Spokane. I tried so hard to have him sneak me in with a large T, but it never panned out.:( Something about him not wanting to get fired... wimp!

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very interesting pictures and they almost look surreal. What surface are they climbing on? It looks like they are puncturing it.

eruheru

Arachnopeon
Very interesting pictures and they almost look surreal. What surface are they climbing on? It looks like they are puncturing it.
Yeah, that's one of my favorite pictures. It's just the material that it is mounted on I guess. The leg caught into it.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those are very sweet pictures thanks for sharing. Man talk about some wild fine detail.

eruheru

Arachnopeon
Yeah, it's amazing how small it can see. Makes you really appreciate the minute scale of form and function.