Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Name Their T's?

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My 4 Ts are named.

Rosie: Scarf
A. Avic: Mr. Rodgers
C. cyan: Eek
E. Campy: Zeebee

3 cockatiels: Baby, Buddy, Keiki
1 Lovebird: R-2
1 Sun Conure: Soleil

1 Ball Python: Tweak

About the only thing we havnt named are the fish. (3 aquariums)

-Jason

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm mainly into scorpions, but I have a few Ts so I'll throw in my two cents....

My primary hobby is video games, the arachnomania thing has only grabbed me 3 or 4 months ago (although the passion for it has burned for over 10 years). As such, I've associated my 4 scorps and 3 tarantulas with video game characters.

Rikimaru (Pandinus Imperator) - Tenchu 1, 2, and 3 (Playstation, Playstation 2)

Gohma (Heterometrus Longimanus/Spinnifer - not sure which) - Legend of Zelda (a prominant boss character in the series) NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube

2 as-yet-unnamed and newly acquired Hadrurus Spadix (taking a vote here at work)

One as-yet-unnamed and newly acquired Avicularia Purpurea (taking a vote here at work)

Kefka (Avicularia Avicularia) - Main villain from Final Fantasy 3 SNES (FF 6 in Japan)

Goltana (Grammastosa Rosea) - a character from Final Fantasy Tactics (Playstation)

Sure, names are irrelevant, but it beats regurgitated scientific names when carrying on conversation with non-T/non-scorp-oriented folks. Plus, the naming convention suits my primary obsession with digital gaming.

LCDXX

Last edited:

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well this post inspired me to name all my T's theres not many, but the numbers grow slowly! Here they are now

Rosehair - Billy
Roshair#2 - BITCH FACE
Curlyhair - Killer (even though it's nice)
Greenbottle Blue- Oscar
Pinktoe - Nightcrawler

The names suck, oh well!!!!!! Anyone want to give one of them a different name let me hear it.
Mike

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I personally have never named any of my T's, I try to concentrate on remembering the scientific names of them instaed. I figure, they wouldn't come if I called them, so why give them a name. My wife has name some of hers, but I don't.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, i mean if a cool name came up I'd use it, but fornow, i just call em my kids...my big bunch of setae-covered fangy kids :)

peace
dave

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I named them when I first started out, but after the collection reached double-digits I stopped. I try to go for more obscure names, especially based on Ancient Greek, and it started getting rather difficult. Once I realised I'd named my B. vagans Scarlet and my B. albopilosum Curly I knew it was time to stop.

Also, I've discovered I don't need a name to identify them. Point to any T tank in my spider room and I can tell you what's in it, when I got it (approximately), from whom, and any personality quirks or lively moments concerning that T, so names are kind of unnecessary.

Adrian

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My spider names.....

Well, I kind of stopped naming my spiders once I got to where I had like 50 of them...but some of my original spiders that I first obtained when I got into this hobby have retained names...I have a huge female Haplopelma minax that is named Trinity and a Chinese Earthtiger named Switch.I also have a Chaco Golden knee named Charlotte, an A.geniculata named Machine that I have raised since she was an 1/2 inch sling - and I have a two big rosehairs that I got from Holley named Pounce and Giganta...Giganta is the biggest rosehair you have ever seen..she is at least the size of a dollar bill...amazing.I traded my original Usumabara to Holley that was named Oingo Boingo....one of my big Usumabaras is named Clockwork Orange.The rest of my collection is pretty much unnamed as there are too many of them...but every now and then one of them will do something crazy and get pinned with a nickname......

The Evil Spider Hunter

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade

My Burmese pythons do have names even though they don't have ears. I fugure if it's big enough to kill me, it deserves a name :}

Wade
actually, just fyi, they discovered years ago that most snakes CAN hear in the normal human range at about a distance of 15 feet. so if your burmese do ever react to you, it's because they hear you. :)

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have always named all of my pets, including Ts. It doesn't matter to me if they don't respond to their names. It's just for the same reason RugbyDave doesn't name his, just for the hell of it.

G. pulchra - Herman
Curly Hair - Sue (how horribly creative)

Snakes:
Zaida
Zena
Zavier
Zapato (deceased)
Zander (notice a trend yet?)
Zolton
Zephyr
Elsie (female bullsnake, gave her a cow name)
Zero (that's how much he cost me)
Scarlett No'Haira
Zack the ball python (as in "Wanna see my ball, Zack?")
Olga
Harvey

Cat:
Odie

Bry

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf
actually, just fyi, they discovered years ago that most snakes CAN hear in the normal human range at about a distance of 15 feet. so if your burmese do ever react to you, it's because they hear you. :)
I didn't say they couldn't hear, I said they didn't have ears :) It is true that they can feel vibrations through the bones their jaws. It isn't quite the same as "hearing" the way we do, but noise is vibration, so they can percieve sounds, but through a different mechanism. It is thought that the mammalian ear evolved from reptilian jaw bones, so there is a grey area there. After 15 years of working with snakes, I can't say I've ever noticed that they respond to human voices in any dicernable way. Lizards, on the other hand, will dash off at he slightest sound.

Edit: After writing this, I decided to do a little research. According to Harry Greene in "Snakes: The Evolution of Mystery in Nature" Snakes do posess an inner ear, so it would have been more correct for me to say that they don't have EXTERNAL ears. Greene does confirm, however, that sound is primarily conveyed through vibration in the substrate (through a bone in the jaw) and that they don't pick up very much in the way of airbourne sounds.

To bring this back on topic, many have suggested that they prefer to use the T's scientific name over a made up name, but what if you have multiples of the same species? I'm just throwing that out there, personally I use numbers.

Wade

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All you EVER wanted to know about sounds and reptiles

yes its called bone conduction.
Humans use bone conduction too, but for VERY VERY low frequency sounds that our ears can't pick up.

and if you want to know how snakes 'hear', take a tuning fork, clang it, and put it on the mastoid process (the bony part right behind your ear) -- vibrations are conducted through bone, and bypass the whole outer and middle ear, direct to the cochlea. from there, its a quick zip through the endolymph, up cranial nerve 9 to the temporal lobe of the brain.

in order for bone conduction to work, there has to be a relay station and they recently figured out that snakes do possess a crude inner ear.

lizards on the other hand have a fully defined tympanic membrane (whose job is to transmit sounds to acoustic signals for the middle and inner ear)!

Also, there's some pretty interesting research being done at my school in regards to entomology/reptiles and sound. They're trying to figure out if, when localizing sounds, reptiles and insects, tend to use their whole body (since their cranial bones are so small and vibrate so easily), or if its all just a mix of sounds which frightens the animal off. They're doing the same with arachnids too. They're trying to figure out if each hair cell corresponds to certain frequencies.

Sounds crazy yes, but someone conjectured that in human terms, and well, lo and behold, we found out that's exactly how we hear.

So basically, we're trying to figure out all the missing links between animal and human. We're trying to see what more we DO have in common and what we DON'T.

interesting huh?
and i think this is on topic wade (i did use the T word once here, haha) :)

so this is what years of schooling medically does to you huh ;)
peace
dave

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bry - any reason for the Z trend? Its a cool letter, don't get me wrong ... ;P :)

peace
dave

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My last name starts with a Z, and I thought it'd be cool to give all my pets Z names. That wasn't as easy as I believed.

It's a Z thing, you wouldn't understand. ;P

Bry

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I name all of mine. Er, both of mine.

My pink zebra beauty I named Charlotte, and my E.murinus I am deciding what to name, but it's going to be either Jezebel or Delilah.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
We have over 150 T's ( not counting a recent string of eggsacs:) ) and they all have 13 character identification numbers. Some of them do however, earn names. The names are usually reserved for individuals that display unusual characteristics or behaviors. Only 16 of them have names so far.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Names sorta match to their species/personality:

p. murinus = Persimmon
p. murinus brown phase = Celeste and Maya
g. rosea - Rosie
g. rosea brown phase = Stinky (R.I.P.)
h. lividium = Azure
b. vagans couple = Rhett and Scarlett
GBB = Splendor
Aphonoplema mystery T = Cupid (got her from hubby for a wedding present)
B. angustum = Augusta
5 curly babies = Flicker 1 through 5
New aphonopelma eutelynium (sp?) = Hershey (perfect light chocolate color!)

I just buy 'em, and when a name comes to mind... that's it!! If I can't think of one, my boys do! They WANTED to name my biggest brown phase murinus "Nut Butt" but I can't go into the reason here.... God boys are SO disgusting!!!