Am i doing ok???

Ptucker1

Arachnopeon
Hey im just getting hooked :D i got 2 CB emps from a friends and i cant get enough of the little guys :D here are some pics of the tank im just wondering if im doing ok

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello mate and welcome to the boards.
From what i can see on your pictures it looks just about right.Your temp and hygro seem to read 33c-34c / 75-80%....I assume you have the lid on. How much ventilation is there?

The only other thing worth mentioning for me would be that your substrate could be a little deeper...i'm thinking at least double that what you've got now.

Apart from that your imperators have got plenty of places to hide, a temperature gradient (adjusting the angle of the heatlight to a sharper angle would stop the cooler end of the terrarium reaching higher temp so quickly..if needed!) a false bottom with pipe feed (it's ok to let it nearly dry out every now and again) and temp/hygro meters to keep an eye on things although they'll probably become less important to you as you gain more experience.

Oh and by the way, you could also quite easily put a partition down the middle of that large terrarium and have some Hetro's or whatever in the other side.....your scorps will still be happy as theres plenty of room for them...;-)

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with 'Rigelus' 100% in his observations, you're doing great. I think that a deeper sub would be better, it allows for them to burrow which they seem to enjoy! You wouldn't even need to pull out the decor, just take another brick of coco fiber and fill up the tank to the top of the pots, then start a 'hole' into them (about two fingers wide and a couple of inches deep, they'll do the rest)

Pic of one of my tanks for a comparison.

DM05

Arachnopeon
Thaedion.. awesome. Beautiful.

What are the different levels of substrate made of? Rocks, _____ , _____ ?

I love that rusty orangish looking top layer. But what's in the middle.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think its just rocks, and cocofiber, and the top is the reflection of the red heat bulb

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks good to me. I only have about 4 inches of substrate in mine (I use something called Black Earth...it's all organic...well...dirt...it has little bits of wood and twigs in it too, and my guy seems to love it)...and he burrows in nicely.

I do agree with the layer of rocks with pipe access on the bottom. When I was using my 5.5gallon for my emp, it kept the humidity at the perfect level. But I couldn't get my hands on enough gravel when I moved to a larger tank.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think its just rocks, and cocofiber, and the top is the reflection of the red heat bulb
That's correct. :D I use external IR bulbs for all my enclosures. I've drastically reduced my scorpion collection in the last week but here is what some of them looked like.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NIce... I wouldn't be able to sleep like that. The one single light that I have for my bearded dragon annoys me as it is. I just use Ceramic heat lamps or heat pads....or BOTH :D. Nice set up though.