Always wondered!!!

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why do ornamental spiders such as P. regali, P. miranda, P. striata, and so on always look flat like strected out?? Is it because their so long they just lay down or what??

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i believe they are built that way for living in the crevices,and they need to camaflauge themselves in the bark where they live,being arboreal and all.

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its so they dont stand out in the wild aganst bark and stuff, cos if you were colour blind youd never see it would you :eek: lol hehe

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
camouflage

I think its part of their camouflage instinct, with their bark-like patterns of lines and colors, when they flatten out against the tree bark, they can blend in very well. When I first was getting pokies, my sister was looking at a regalis flattened against bark, and remarked on how well they can blend in. Also, to an insect, the flattened pokie would not seem a threat, just apparently being another part of the bark.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So whats the deal with P. metallica then? Pretty sure u dnt get bright blue and yellow bark :p lol

But apart from this 1, i'd say camouflage is the reason

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Perhaps it is a better camouflage during the night, the way it reflects the lunar light and al...