Alternative caging for a burrower

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is my attempt at making a cage for a small Aphonopelma. The burrow is outlined per the popular Code Monkey Madden style for your viewing pleasure. So far the T seems to like burrow. He doesn't come out unless he gets suprised by a cricket. In that case he goes to the top and throws a U-turn before charging back down and tearing into the offending critter. I started the hole out by packing dirt in around a pen. When I withdrew the pen it left a small burrow for the T. He has since expanded/deepened/widened and overall reconstucted it. What do you think? Is there anything I'm missing? Is this okay for small tarantula quarters. I'm thinking of drilling small holes around the bottom of the burrow for improved air circulation. Is this needed for Aphonopelma or perhaps Brachypelma albopilosum species?

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Looks good to me. similar to what I've got my 1/2" H lividum in, though mine is rectangular. it looks glass, is it? Wouldn't advise drilling in round glass, or any glass unless you really know what you're doing.

Bill

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually it is plastic. It is an empty Jif creamy peanut butter container. I was looking for containers that were clear, had a secure lid, and could be lined up together neatly. Now I just have to eat a hell of a lot peanut butter. :)

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually Bill, if you want to put holes in glass, use an engraver, chips right through... just wear safety glasses cause it does throw debris...

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Arachniphile
Actually Bill, if you want to put holes in glass, use an engraver, chips right through... just wear safety glasses cause it does throw debris...
We're talking the old buzzing electro engraver that has a fairly dull point and vibrates so much it makes your hand itch? I'd never thought to try it, but will. Had anything shatter using this, and how long's it take to get through say.. 1/8th inch glass?

Bill

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a great picture. That tarantula has constructed quite a burrow.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Jacen. I actually enjoy watching the T in the burrow more than I enjoy seeing it out in the open. I can hardly wait to see how it molts inside the burrow.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have more experience with terrestrials and arboreals so i havent seen such a cool hide before. That is seriously so cool to me.

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We're talking the old buzzing electro engraver that has a fairly dull point and vibrates so much it makes your hand itch? I'd never thought to try it, but will. Had anything shatter using this, and how long's it take to get through say.. 1/8th inch glass?

Yeap Bill... That's the monster. The one I had was adjustable from a dull hum all the way up to "teeth rattlin" buzzer any woman could love... lol ;) I suppose you could sharpen the point if it were dull... never had a problem with that. Its usefulness for drilling glass was discovered back in highschool. You see.. there was this wine bottle.... it had the perfect slope on the side... and the neck was the perfect size... It just needed a couple if holes in it.... and some water...

I don't remeber how long it takes.... but a lower setting does reduce the stress on the glass. The only thing I had break on me was a super thin wine glass that I was "etching" a rose onto with it. It really does work quite well.

Coincedently... I still have that "bottle"... was spending quality time with it an hour ago... :}

Last edited:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Arachniphile

Coincedently... I still have that "bottle"... was spending quality time with it an hour ago... :}
LMAO!